Re: [BG] Lord of the Rings Sweeps!

  • Rick Healey
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 1, 2004
      > Here's to Lord of the Rings, the inspiration and source material for
      > much of Dungeons and Dragons, and the greatest piece of mythology
      > written in the 20th Century (longer?).
      >
      > They swept the Oscars tonight like an army of the dead over the
      > Pelennor fields.

      Not that I didn't enjoy the movie, but I was hoping that Sofia Coppola
      would have won Best Director. And that "Pirates of the Carribean" would
      have taken one of the geek Oscars (I personally thought they should have
      gotten makeup).

      But I wish I was in New Zealand right now, because I'd be so thanked right
      now.

      --
      - Rick Healey rhealey@... -
      - AOL Instant Messenger: TheSpoony1 ICQ#:52533345 -
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 1, 2004
        On Mon, 1 Mar 2004, ck2001wendt wrote:
        > They swept the Oscars tonight like an army of the dead over the
        > Pelennor fields.

        Which is unfortunate, since I think the "Rings Fever" that plagued the
        Oscars this year did a really nice job of mucking it up for a lot of other
        deserving talent.

        I think the winners of the Best Foreign Language Film said it best on
        stage when one person declared they were very glad that RotK couldn't
        have qualified for their category...

        --
        Jacob E. Boucher
      • Jacob E. Boucher
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 1, 2004
          On Mon, 1 Mar 2004, Rick Healey wrote:
          > Not that I didn't enjoy the movie, but I was hoping that Sofia Coppola
          > would have won Best Director. And that "Pirates of the Carribean" would
          > have taken one of the geek Oscars (I personally thought they should have
          > gotten makeup).

          Agreed at least on Point #1. If the Academy wanted to play politics (and
          there is no doubt in my mind RotK's sweep was a political decision), they
          should have given the Best Director award to Coppola and recognize some
          female creative talent in Hollywood for once. I'd rather have seen a
          woman getting Best Director than a guy who looked like he just spent the
          day sleeping in the back seet of his car.

          --
          Jacob E. Boucher
        • Zachary Stoecker-Sylvia
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 1, 2004
            On Mon, 1 Mar 2004, Jacob E. Boucher wrote:
            > I'd rather have seen a woman getting Best Director than a guy who looked
            > like he just spent the day sleeping in the back seet of his car.

            Why would someone be more deserving of Best Director because they're a
            woman or less deserving because of personal appearance? Best Director has
            to do with directing...

            Zack
          • Jacob E. Boucher
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 1, 2004
              On Mon, 1 Mar 2004, Zachary Stoecker-Sylvia wrote:
              > Why would someone be more deserving of Best Director because they're a
              > woman or less deserving because of personal appearance? Best Director
              > has to do with directing...

              Because the Acadamy Awards are about politics as much as they are about
              filmmaking, and if you want to make a political statement, I at least
              think Coppola was the more important choice.

              But I am soooooo preaching to the wrong choir here, so it makes little
              difference what I think on the matter.

              --
              Jacob E. Boucher
            • Rick Healey
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 1, 2004

                > On Mon, 1 Mar 2004, Zachary Stoecker-Sylvia wrote:
                >> Why would someone be more deserving of Best Director because they're a
                >> woman or less deserving because of personal appearance? Best Director
                >> has to do with directing...
                >
                > Because the Acadamy Awards are about politics as much as they are about
                > filmmaking, and if you want to make a political statement, I at least
                > think Coppola was the more important choice.
                >
                > But I am soooooo preaching to the wrong choir here, so it makes little
                > difference what I think on the matter.

                Personally, I just wanted Coppola to win because, well, "Lost In
                Translation" was a brilliantly done movie. I personally would have
                preferred it win Best Picture too, but I think everyone knew that wasn't
                going to happen. But I figured that they'd give Sofia Best Director
                because of how well she pulled off such a tricky (and incredible) movie to
                film.

                However, as pointed out, the Academy is politicky. And they probably
                figured that she has plenty of films in her ("Translation" is her first
                movie as a director), so she can win another later.

                --
              • dark@marlboro.edu
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 1, 2004
                  Actually, it wasn't the first movie she directed, but the third; she directed
                  The Virgin Suicides in 1999 and Lick the Star in 1998. However, I do agree that
                  she probably has many mopre excellent movies still to come.

                  Quoting Rick Healey <rhealey@...>:

                  > > On Mon, 1 Mar 2004, Zachary Stoecker-Sylvia wrote:
                  > >> Why would someone be more deserving of Best Director because they're a
                  > >> woman or less deserving because of personal appearance? Best Director
                  > >> has to do with directing...
                  > >
                  > > Because the Acadamy Awards are about politics as much as they are about
                  > > filmmaking, and if you want to make a political statement, I at least
                  > > think Coppola was the more important choice.
                  > >
                  > > But I am soooooo preaching to the wrong choir here, so it makes little
                  > > difference what I think on the matter.
                  >
                  > Personally, I just wanted Coppola to win because, well, "Lost In
                  > Translation" was a brilliantly done movie. I personally would have
                  > preferred it win Best Picture too, but I think everyone knew that wasn't
                  > going to happen. But I figured that they'd give Sofia Best Director
                  > because of how well she pulled off such a tricky (and incredible) movie to
                  > film.
                  >
                  > However, as pointed out, the Academy is politicky. And they probably
                  > figured that she has plenty of films in her ("Translation" is her first
                  > movie as a director), so she can win another later.
                  >
                  > --
                  > - Rick Healey rhealey@... -
                  > - AOL Instant Messenger: TheSpoony1 ICQ#:52533345 -
                  > - 32_Footsteps http://www.epinions.com/user-32_footsteps -
                  > - Category Lead in Games "Old school? I *built* the school." -
                  >

                  > ||- http://www.bostongamers.com -||
                  > -> Message Boards: http://bostongamers.com/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi
                  > -> Info: http://www.bostongamers.com/join.html
                  >
                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Jacob E. Boucher
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 1, 2004
                    On Mon, 1 Mar 2004, Rick Healey wrote:
                    > However, as pointed out, the Academy is politicky. And they probably
                    > figured that she has plenty of films in her ("Translation" is her first
                    > movie as a director), so she can win another later.

                    Indeed, a variation of the Russell Crowe Oscar Dance...

                    And to be fair, the RotK Oscars were really for "The Trilogy", which was,
                    I'll admit, an amazing achievement overall and I can't really argue
                    against that stance. It just eats at me that such a monster of a
                    production cannot help but walk all over everything in its path.

                    --
                    Jacob E. Boucher
                  • Bob Traynor
                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 1, 2004
                      > Why would someone be more deserving of Best Director because they're a
                      > woman or less deserving because of personal appearance? Best
                      Director has
                      > to do with directing...

                      And the entire industry has to do with appearance.

                      Coincidentally, I saw America's Sweethearts before the broadcast
                      (Billy Crystal and Joe Roth were co-producers, Roth produced the
                      Oscars last night, and co-stars Catherine Zeta-Jones, Julia Roberts
                      and John Cusack were all greeters last night). Zeta-Jones plays an
                      utterly self-centered actress who rants at one point about how the
                      leeches only care about her appearance and whether she's still with
                      her co-star husband or not.

                      Gee, darn, and homely women get to headline Hollywood movies.
                    • Jacob E. Boucher
                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 1, 2004
                        On Mon, 1 Mar 2004, Bob Traynor wrote:
                        > And the entire industry has to do with appearance.

                        My comments were for two particular reasons.

                        1) Women in creative positions do not win Acadeny Awards. No woman has
                        ever won Best Director, and no woman has ever (until last night) won Best
                        Original Screenplay. The upper echelon of Hollywood's creative film
                        talent (Directors, Writers, Cinematographers, Editors, and to a lesser
                        extent Producers) is very male dominated. Independent film is attempting
                        to buck the trend, but it will be many, many years before an equality of
                        the sexes can be reached, and I had hoped (however forlorn that hope was)
                        that Sophia Coppola could have shattered that glass ceiling rather than
                        just put a big crack in it.

                        2) As for Peter Jackson? The guy's a slob. I know it messes with his
                        "image" of eccentric-derelict-turned-superstar, but for the biggest night
                        of the man's career, you'd think he could at least get a trim, button his
                        collar, and buy a tuxedo with some of the fat cash he's mucking in.

                        Anyways, Hooray for Hollywood...

                        --
                        Jacob E. Boucher