Re: Picnicon Gaming Schedule: errata and new game!

  • balsamicdragon
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 1, 2003
      Errata: The game below is for 2-8 players, pre-gens

      > Friday Evening
      >
      > "Outsider Training"
      > The Collectors (a supernatural mystery rpg using FUDGE)
      > Players: 2-8 players, pre-gens
      souls
      > due to Hell. Sure, selling souls on eBay _sounds_ good, but it's
      > not without its price.
      > GMs: Scott and Sharon

      And we have another LARP to add to the schedule!

      Friday Late

      "Priceless"
      LARP
      Players: 4-9, pre-gens
      just
      recovering from that nasty fever that all the children in town had.
      Mother had
      to step out to do some errands, despite the storm. And when she came
      back, she
      seemed . . . different (even though Father says that's nonsense!).
      Victorian
      era horror LARP -- bring pajamas!
      GM: Sharon

      I've played in this one folks, and it is _really_ good!

      Sign up for games quick before they fill!

      Viv
    • Erika Emrick
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 1, 2003
        > And we have another LARP to add to the schedule!
        >
        > Friday Late
        >
        > "Priceless"
        > LARP
        > Players: 4-9, pre-gens
        > just
        > recovering from that nasty fever that all the children in town had.
        > Mother had
        > to step out to do some errands, despite the storm. And when she came
        > back, she
        > seemed . . . different (even though Father says that's nonsense!).
        > Victorian
        > era horror LARP -- bring pajamas!
        > GM: Sharon
        >
        > I've played in this one folks, and it is _really_ good!

        I second this one!!! It's much fun to play! :)

        Eeeeka

        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "There are no happy endings...because nothing ends."
        --Schmendrick, _The Last Unicorn_
      • balsamicdragon
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 1, 2003
          Another late addition to the Picnicon Gaming Schedule:

          Friday Evening

          "A Midsummer Night's Playtest "
          "Heroic Fantasy Storyteller", a heavily modified version of the
          Storyteller system
          Players: 4-6, characters to be created beforehand (either early on
          Friday, or via email)
          seneshal of a royal hunting lodge in Sherwood Forest (and her friends
          and allies) becomes aware of evil stirring in the wood. I have always
          been a fan of the Storyteller system (Vampire, Mage, Exalted, etc.)
          but was always disappointed by the fact it didn't do D&D-style epic
          adventure very well. So I've merged elements of Adventure RPG, D&D3E,
          and Ars Magica to create a system that will...hopefully. Be prepared
          for rules tinkering on the fly!
          GM: Tyler

          Remember to send me your sign-up requests by private email, not the
          list!

          Viv
        • Odysseus Laertes
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 1, 2003
            Just out of curiosity, if it's a Victorian larp how
            much costuming will be necessary? It sounds great,
            but I'm afraid I'm lacking in Victorian era costuming.

            ~Josh Brennan

            http://sbc.yahoo.com
          • teale@roguepublishing.com
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 1, 2003
              Quoting Odysseus Laertes <Odysseus113@...>:

              > Just out of curiosity, if it's a Victorian larp how
              > much costuming will be necessary? It sounds great,
              > but I'm afraid I'm lacking in Victorian era costuming.

              While Victorian-style sleepwear would be great for anyone who can manage it,
              all that's required really is to avoid anything that screams anachronism --
              keep away from clothing with logos or pictures, for instance.

              Pajamas, a long nightgown, or even a non-descript t-shirt and sweatpants are
              all fine for costuming. Okay, let me clarify that the nightgown is fine only
              for anyone playing a female role.... Though anyone who wants to is welcome to
              cross-cast.

              -Sharon
            • Joseph Teller
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 1, 2003
                Although I'm not going to be involved in the larp, its important to note
                that historically
                Victorian gentlemen still, in many cases, wore nightgowns (plain white
                cotton or flannel, though called Dressing Gowns in some circles) because the
                heating systems in their homes weren't as good as modern ones.

                Pyjamas were introduced in the late 1915 or so period for women, as an
                extension of Harem pants and tops concept when it became faddish (as did all
                things arabic/Egyptian) in that period.

                Mens Pajamas as known today in the USA came later, roughly later 1930s, as
                part of the 'revised morality'. American males didn't wear
                nightgowns/dressing gowns, but those living in the frontier slept in 'Union
                Suits', which had come into popularity around the Civil war as insulation
                for soldiers.

                Joe
                (I do far too much research on these historical issues when gaming)

                > Just out of curiosity, if it's a Victorian larp how
                > much costuming will be necessary? It sounds great,
                > but I'm afraid I'm lacking in Victorian era costuming.

                While Victorian-style sleepwear would be great for anyone who can manage it,
                all that's required really is to avoid anything that screams anachronism --
                keep away from clothing with logos or pictures, for instance.

                Pajamas, a long nightgown, or even a non-descript t-shirt and sweatpants are
                all fine for costuming. Okay, let me clarify that the nightgown is fine only
                for anyone playing a female role.... Though anyone who wants to is welcome
                cross-cast.

                -Sharon

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                ||- http://www.bostongamers.com -||
                -> Message Boards: http://bostongamers.com/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi
                -> Info: http://www.bostongamers.com/join.html

              • teale@roguepublishing.com
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 1, 2003
                  This is true. Though, having recently tried to find a plain white nightgown to
                  costume for a different game, I think it's safe to say that the sorts of
                  nightgowns that would pass as men's dressing gowns are appropriately rare as to
                  be considered costuming. :)

                  Quoting Joseph Teller <josephteller@...>:

                  > Although I'm not going to be involved in the larp, its important to note
                  > that historically Victorian gentlemen still, in many cases, wore nightgowns
                  > (plain white cotton or flannel, though called Dressing Gowns in some circles)
                  > because the heating systems in their homes weren't as good as modern ones.
                  >
                  > Pyjamas were introduced in the late 1915 or so period for women, as an
                  > extension of Harem pants and tops concept when it became faddish (as did
                  > all things arabic/Egyptian) in that period.
                  >
                  > Mens Pajamas as known today in the USA came later, roughly later 1930s, as
                  > part of the 'revised morality'. American males didn't wear
                  > nightgowns/dressing gowns, but those living in the frontier slept in 'Union
                  > Suits', which had come into popularity around the Civil war as insulation
                  > for soldiers.
                  >
                  > Joe
                  > (I do far too much research on these historical issues when gaming)

                • Odysseus Laertes
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 1, 2003
                    Oh, and one final question. Presuming it has at least
                    some minor violent confrontation, how is that going to
                    be run? Dice, minds eye theatre style, or perhaps
                    boffer style?

                    ~Josh

                    http://sbc.yahoo.com
                  • The Vortex of Chaos
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 1, 2003
                      FYI - St. John's Bay makes a classic men's flannel nightshirt that
                      works nicely. You can get it at JC Penney's! (I have a plain blue one.
                      The Penney's website only has plaids on display. Further Googling might
                      be called for.)

                      p.s. Play this LARP! Sharon runs it superbly, and it is not to be
                      missed!

                    • teale@roguepublishing.com
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 2, 2003
                        Quoting Odysseus Laertes <Odysseus113@...>:

                        > Oh, and one final question. Presuming it has at least
                        > some minor violent confrontation, how is that going to
                        > be run? Dice, minds eye theatre style, or perhaps
                        > boffer style?

                        It uses a very simplified combat resolution: Everyone has a "scuffle rating,"
                        and the higher number wins. Thus the eldest child is always going to be able to
                        beat up a younger sibling. However, you can also gang up against a bully,
                        adding your scuffle ratings. But it's really not a combat-oriented game.

                        -Sharon