Re: [BG] Writing and its effect on a gaming gro

  • kahuna_burger73
    Message 1 of 18 , May 1 4:53 AM
      --- In bostongamers@y..., arhephoroi@a... wrote:

      > I have actually seen a rather negative side of this though.

      I like out of game writing and plot development in theory, but
      there's been some bad sides in my current group too. More than once,
      I've posted updates/comments on what my character was thinking to the
      rest of the group over email, and have them respond in character as
      though my character was saying it to the others in a big exposition.
      I was lucky enough on the last one to have the DM basically say
      "Unless katherine has asked you to proofread her journal for her, you
      really don't know this in character." but other times its actually
      led to in-character flame wars.

      And I don't even like to think about what happened when the "roleplay
      out this small group interlude over email" incident went out of
      control...

      Of course then there's when I get the weird urge to write 'character
      slash fiction'. Those have been approved by the other players whose
      characters are involved, but I'm not sure they need to be posted to
      the group at large.

      Kahuna
    • j_genest
      Message 2 of 18 , May 1 5:13 AM
        --- In bostongamers@y..., arhephoroi@a... wrote:
        > ended the game badly.
        > Now I find myself in a position as a GM with one payer who
        is more
        > prolific than the others. How does one strike a balance, rewarding
        the one
        > without making the others seem penalized? I'm fairly new at this
        and the
        > game is young so advice is most welcome.

        I think its fair to say that people who put more effort into things
        are going to get more reward from it than people who don't. I never
        had players complain about this, they understood my toughts on the
        mater and acted accordngly as they had time and inclination.

        For me, its part of the group contract established at the beginning
        of the game, so problems rarely develop.

        Jere
      • j_genest
        Message 3 of 18 , May 1 5:18 AM
          --- In bostongamers@y..., "kahuna_burger73" <cschack@e...> wrote:
          > Of course then there's when I get the weird urge to
          write 'character
          > slash fiction'. Those have been approved by the other players whose
          > characters are involved, but I'm not sure they need to be posted to
          > the group at large.

          Matters on the type of campaign I'd guess.
        • Mike Dlott
          Message 4 of 18 , May 1 5:40 AM
            In one of my games of exalted. We use E-mail to deal
            with interparty conflicts. This allows us to get on
            with the game, and still keep a record of all the
            stuff that happens on the side. All of the players and
            the GM know how everyone feels about whats going on,
            and in general what our goals are.

            I hope this helps the GM plan out what to do. I've
            never done much stuff over email before this game. But
            thats mainly cause it was always people I knew very
            well so we could talk about it when were just hanging
            out.

            As for journal stuff I like to keep this as histories,
            which all players can read, to say wow cool, but not
            to know all the details of. In my last game I had two
            players being awarded for writting/gaming outside the
            actual game. I don't mind this and I think the other
            players were cool.

            In some games like D&D I try to keep xp very even
            because there is so much difference in 1 level. But in
            whitewolf a character having 3 dots of brawl rather
            than 2 doesn't rise him above the others so much.

            When I had time in college and I was running mage. I
            would run mini sessions all the time with different
            people who would pull me aside to do something
            important to them in game, that had nothing to do with
            anyone else.

            I think the issue comes down to the system, how much
            xp is worth, and wether you make it clear that
            everyone has a chance to participate. Some gamers are
            more fun to game with because they are active and keep
            the game moving and interesting.

            Their characters have goals outside your string of
            plots, and seem like more people. I never punish this,
            and I try to reward it in an appropriate manner. Not
            everyone is like this though, and you have to balance
            reward and punishment.

            If it comes to the point where you have people
            thinking you are playing favorites, and feel that they
            are being punished for not writting. You can say ok
            mini session for you if you want to put in the time.
            Or say you have the option to write.

            If I have people trying to Meta game, I would just put
            my foot down and stop it right there. They dont get to
            see the emails and go wow thats cool anymore. And you
            dont let them use the information they have already
            seen. Most people can handle out of character
            knowledge some cannot.

            http://health.yahoo.com
          • dhoberman@attbi.com
            Message 5 of 18 , May 1 7:35 AM
              > --- In bostongamers@y..., arhephoroi@a... wrote:
              > > ended the game badly.
              > > Now I find myself in a position as a GM with
              one payer who
              > is more
              > > prolific than the others. How does one strike a
              balance, rewarding
              > the one
              > > without making the others seem penalized? I'm
              fairly new at this
              > and the
              > > game is young so advice is most welcome.

              I think there's a subtle but important difference
              between a player who is reactive (ie, they'll give you
              something *when you ask* but may not just randomly
              create stuff) and a player who is passive (and may not
              give you stuff even when you ask.)

              In a game with more prolific player(s) and reactive
              ones, you just have to pay more attention to drawing the
              reactive ones out (the elf girl example).

              On the other hand, players that are passive and
              minimally invested in the game, I find often end up
              resenting more active players who by their participation
              end up with a greater share of GM 'spotlight.' The only
              real solution is to, as Jere notes, make it very clear
              what kind of game you're intending on running, and make
              an effort to pull the player into the game - if they
              stay involved and continue to bitch, you have harder
              choices to make.

              The gaming 'contract' is another good topic for
              discussion - how explicit is your agreement with your
              group about the type of game, etc, you are running and
              what other elements does it involve? Jere, again, I'd be
              interested in hearing your take, as well as anyone else
              who has anything remotely resembling a formalized
              contract.

              Me, I just usually have a series of conversations with
              the prospective group about the type of game I intend to
              run, and they put in their expectations and ideas, and
              we shake and come to some relatively mutually agreeable
              vision for going forward. Of course sometimes what
              people want changes, or they understand what was agreed
              on in a slightly different manner than you do. That and
              making food arrangements is about it for us.

              David

              unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

              > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • Eeeeka Emrick
              Message 6 of 18 , May 1 7:59 AM
                > Long answer: Try to get Mr. or Ms. Well-Developed to ask the other
                > characters, in character, about other parts of those charcters, and
                > foreshadow liberally. Then, when things come out in session, you can
                > use the resultant info.

                My GM for my Earthdawn game gave out Legend points for journal entries.
                After a year or so of game play, she sent out a questionnaire for everyone
                to fill out. We all got Legend points when *everyone* had filled out the
                sheet and given her something back. It didn't work immediately, but the
                one player who didn't do much realized that our characters were so much
                more developed that he wasn't having much fun and actually filled the
                thing out. I was very glad that I did it afterwards. The game has lasted
                for 2 1/2 years (though we're on break now) which probably wouldn't have
                happened except for the detail we all gave our characters.

                Eeeeka
              • j_genest
                Message 7 of 18 , May 1 8:20 AM
                  --- In bostongamers@y..., dhoberman@a... wrote:
                  > The gaming 'contract' is another good topic for
                  > discussion - how explicit is your agreement with your
                  > group about the type of game, etc, you are running and
                  > what other elements does it involve? Jere, again, I'd be
                  > interested in hearing your take, as well as anyone else
                  > who has anything remotely resembling a formalized
                  > contract.

                  I've had both formal written contracts and informal verbal/consensual
                  contracts. And I find they are re-examined rather regularly.

                  Jere
                • j_genest
                  Message 8 of 18 , May 1 8:22 AM
                    --- In bostongamers@y..., Eeeeka Emrick <eeeeka@d...> wrote:

                    > After a year or so of game play, she sent out a questionnaire for
                    everyone
                    > to fill out. We all got Legend points when *everyone* had filled
                    out the
                    > sheet and given her something back.

                    What srt of questions we're on this questionairre? I'm getting ready
                    to write a few of these (both my campaigns are in the 1-2 year range)
                    and inspiration is always apreciated.

                    Jere
                  • Eeeeka Emrick
                    Message 9 of 18 , May 1 8:42 AM
                      > What srt of questions we're on this questionairre? I'm getting ready
                      > to write a few of these (both my campaigns are in the 1-2 year range)
                      > and inspiration is always apreciated.

                      Lots of questions:

                      Spiritual beliefs, which Passions she follows (if any), how other spirits
                      (elementals, the dead) fit in with her world view.

                      Moral code, why would she kill, steal, lie; Personal ethics about sex, the
                      Horrors, whether she would make a deal with something evil, even
                      temporarily.

                      Special qualities: loyal, generous, kind, plays well with others, etc.

                      What does she love/hate

                      Best friend from childhood, describe an escapade

                      Parents/siblings, how she relates to them.

                      Teacher: description, etc.

                      Describe the moment she knew she could do magic (in Earthdawn all PCs are
                      Adepts for the most part and they are all inherantly magical).

                      Eeeeka
                    • j_genest
                      Message 10 of 18 , May 1 9:08 AM
                        --- In bostongamers@y..., Eeeeka Emrick <eeeeka@d...> wrote:
                        > > What srt of questions we're on this questionairre? I'm getting
                        ready
                        > > to write a few of these (both my campaigns are in the 1-2 year
                        range)
                        > > and inspiration is always apreciated.
                        >
                        > Lots of questions:

                        We're these basically the same questions given at character creation?
                        Was the gamemaster looking for changes?

                        Jere
                      • Eeeeka Emrick
                        Message 11 of 18 , May 1 10:24 AM
                          > We're these basically the same questions given at character creation?
                          > Was the gamemaster looking for changes?

                          She didn't ask anything at character creation. Jae was the first
                          character I'd ever created, so I had no idea what I might have been
                          looking for at the time. I think the GM was simply looking for a more
                          definitive outlook for each character and for plot hooks. She turned one
                          of the other player's responces into a major arc which is going to change
                          the world significantly...:)

                          Eeeeka