Re: d20 Call of Cthulhu is out - mini-review

  • e_storch2002
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 1 5:09 AM
      --- In bostongamers@y..., mathew <meta@p...> wrote:

      > In summary: An excellent addition to the d20 game stable. The
      > quality and presentation are excellent, and at first read the
      > accuracy seems good. The system is flexible, and the rulebook
      > provides everything you need--no D&D rulebooks required. By far
      > the best d20 book I've seen since the D&D core rules.

      I was thinking of picking this one up myself because I'm intrigued by
      the sanity rules. Can you describe how they work? Is it like
      Palladium?

      Eric
    • mathew
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 1 7:18 AM
        On Mon, 1 Apr 2002, e_storch2002 wrote:
        > --- In bostongamers@y..., mathew <meta@p...> wrote:
        > > In summary: An excellent addition to the d20 game stable. The
        > > quality and presentation are excellent, and at first read the
        > > accuracy seems good. The system is flexible, and the rulebook
        > > provides everything you need--no D&D rulebooks required. By far
        > > the best d20 book I've seen since the D&D core rules.
        >
        > I was thinking of picking this one up myself because I'm intrigued by
        > the sanity rules. Can you describe how they work? Is it like
        > Palladium?

        Can't tell you, as I've never played Palladium.

        I believe the d20 CoC sanity mechanics are mostly lifted wholesale from
        Chaosium's version of the game, with some minor numeric adjustments.

        Brief outline from memory:

        * Starting sanity points = N * wisdom; max = 99. N=3 or 4, I forget.
        * Events have a sanity cost, such as 0/1d6. You get to make a sanity save.
        If you make it, you take the cost before the slash; if you fail, the cost
        after.
        * If you lose more than 20% of your sanity points in a short period of time,
        you go temporarily insane. This generally means developing some kind of
        mental problem that allows you to stay in the game, but puts you at
        additional risk.
        * If your sanity points drop below 0, you go indefinitely insane. This means
        hospitalization for months of game time, and often permanent risk of
        relapse.
        * Therapy and rest and isolation can raise your sanity.

        Oh yeah, something I forgot to mention: d20 CoC doesn't have classes.
        Or rather, it has classes, but you (the player) don't need to use them.
        They're just character archetypes to start you off. This should shut up
        the people who were whining about how they'd never use d20 because they
        think character classes are stupid :-)

        mathew
        --
        Journal and other stuff at <URL:http://www.pobox.com/~meta/>
      • Mark Christopher
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 1 7:21 AM
          On Mon, 1 Apr 2002, mathew wrote:

          > Oh yeah, something I forgot to mention: d20 CoC doesn't have classes.
          > Or rather, it has classes, but you (the player) don't need to use them.
          > They're just character archetypes to start you off. This should shut up
          > the people who were whining about how they'd never use d20 because they
          > think character classes are stupid :-)

          What about alignments, levels and hit points that rise unrealistically?
          ;)

          I have to admit that since I don't play D&D, I won't be picking this up.
          However, as a CoC player, I'm glad to see they kept all of that close to
          the "real" game. :)

          --
          "It's hard to be religious when certain people are never
          incinerated by bolts of lightning." - Calvin
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 1 8:19 AM
            > I believe the d20 CoC sanity mechanics are mostly lifted wholesale
            from
            > Chaosium's version of the game, with some minor numeric adjustments.

            From comments I've seen by the writers, they attempted to 'port the
            original Sanity rules as intact as possible for d20. From my *very*
            quick glance in the store Friday, and Mathew's summary, it sounds
            like they came pretty close.

            > Oh yeah, something I forgot to mention: d20 CoC doesn't have
            classes.

            The "In the Works" column on the Wizards site has included some
            teasers about the game--but be warned that this column is done by a
            copywriter. The Feb. one showed how BAB & saves would work without
            classes:

            http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/iw/iw20020218a

            A couple other preview things, for much less than the rulebook's $40
            cover price (Pandemonium still had copies of both, last I checked):

            * The Dragon Annual d20 Special had a preview/excerpt, including Deep
            One stats.
            * The April Game Trade Magazine has an introductory adventure by one
            of the authors, Monte Cook.

            Tim Emrick
            who will now return to chanting "summon preordered copy"...
          • werther@hilander.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 1 9:38 AM
              Quoting Mark Christopher <torrin@...>:
              > What about alignments, levels and hit points that rise
              > unrealistically? ;)

              Lessee. No alignments. Levels exist, but XP really doesn't. You rise a
              level every two "adventures," although I'm not sure if that maps out to
              "sessions" or "stories." And hp exist, but any time you take more than
              10 at a time, it's save-or-die. So death comes much more easily.

              Jason
            • Mark Christopher
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 1 9:45 AM
                On Mon, 1 Apr 2002 werther@... wrote:

                > Quoting Mark Christopher <torrin@...>:
                > > What about alignments, levels and hit points that rise
                > > unrealistically? ;)
                >
                > Lessee. No alignments.

                Cool. I couldn't imagine that alignments would exist in such a genre.

                > Levels exist, but XP really doesn't. You rise a
                > level every two "adventures," although I'm not sure if that maps out to
                > "sessions" or "stories."

                Huh. An interesting development. Sounds like it could work okay.

                > And hp exist, but any time you take more than
                > 10 at a time, it's save-or-die. So death comes much more easily.

                I like that compromise.

                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 2 1:53 PM
                  Some more excerpts, from the WotC site:

                  http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=cthulhu/article/ex20020321a