Re: [BG] Looking for a venue.. - LC Practices

  • Lea Adams
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 1, 2001
      > Easy enough...become them. There must be more people like yourself
      > out there. Simply declare yourself a club. You get all sorts of
      > nifty perks, like a budget, authorization to use classrooms for games
      > and meetings, and folks will find you. We had one guy at U.Conn. who
      > was a habitual club starter, and ended up president of BiGALA, the
      > Gaming Club, the Science Fiction Club, and the Wiccan Society.

      Umm, from what I remember, it is just not that easy to get a club at
      Northeastern. I used to RP with Ian [Sigismund], and he would always
      bemoan the college organization that determines if you are a club or not.

      I don't remember if he was trying to get a student gaming club set up or
      an authorized SCA student organization or both, but he was never happy
      with the rules, regs, and infrastructure that he had to deal with.

      Maybe if you talk to the office that authorizes student organizations
      (aka, official ones that get a budget), they'll be able to tell you if one
      exists and who to talk to. Because an official student club should have a
      president, vice president, treasurer or secretary available (usually the
      minimum is a president and a treasurer). I know one of the NE problems is
      you need to have a minimum number of people, and sometimes that is
      extraordinarily difficult.

      Good luck,

      Shawna Lea
      former exchequer of the Felding Medieval Society, Wellesley

      > > differetn sources that one exists, but nobody knows
      > > how to contact them...
    • Jacob E Boucher
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 4, 2001
        On Fri, 31 Aug 2001 dan_abraham@... wrote:
        > Easy enough...become them. There must be more people like yourself
        > out there. Simply declare yourself a club. You get all sorts of
        > nifty perks, like a budget, authorization to use classrooms for games
        > and meetings, and folks will find you. We had one guy at U.Conn. who
        > was a habitual club starter, and ended up president of BiGALA, the
        > Gaming Club, the Science Fiction Club, and the Wiccan Society.

        Weeeellll, it's not always that easy. I'll agree with Shawna Lea that
        it's a big pain to a- start and b- run a campus student organization. I've
        been, to varying degrees, one of the movers and shakers of BUMRS (Boston
        University Medieval Re-Creation Society) for the last six years, and the
        schools can make life very difficult for those who are not prepared for
        it. There are going to be mandatory workshops, paperwork up the wazoo,
        and a nice fat book full of rules and regs about what the groups can and
        cannot do.

        Really, what a club can get you is A) a room for gaming, B) money for
        stuff, and C) a little bit more recognition on campus. Keep in mind,
        though that getting a room *suitable for gaming* can be tough, since
        small, cozy rooms with nice big tables are prized by a lot of groups.
        Money for stuff is tricky. BU, for instance, does not give money for
        food, but they gave us over $400 for chain mail. Getting "gaming
        supplies" might not be a good idea. If you do get them somehow, they're
        university property, and if the group gets dissolved, they're gonna get
        junked. And, as for the recognition on campus, most colleges have some
        sort of club fair, and these are good for recruiting. However, be
        forewarned that 80% of those who sign up out of curiosity, will probably
        back out due to time or interest problems. Students who know about the
        "student activities office" at the college can look up contact info, but a
        lot of students aren't that savvy.

        Two quick and dirty ways to advertize a student club after the activities
        fair are to put up flyers, and to use, if available, university-wide
        announcement lists. These generally aren't e-mails, but something tied to
        the e-mail program for the university. Again, some places have this, some
        don't. Get to know your student activities office program coordinator -
        this person can make or break your group, depending on your relationship
        with them.

        In the end, a student organization can work wonders for a gaming group on
        a college campus, but it needs organization, manpower, time, and
        determination. Oh, and a little luck never hurt, either. There are a lot
        of little things that are easy to forget but vital to your group, and it
        takes good leadership to make it all happen.

        Anyone who has further questions, especially about BU student
        organizations, can contact me.

        --
        Jacob E. Boucher
        AIM S.N.= jbuchr