Re: surprising roleplaying and computer games

  • Tim Emrick
    Message 1 of 30 , May 1, 2001
      > Umm...you taught a class on role-playing games to high-schools
      > students???

      > How did you sneak that into the curriculum?

      Ah, nostalgia...I got my first taste of D&D through school, too. A
      few times during the school year, my middle school had an "activity
      period," where they'd reserve a few Friday afternoons for a
      short "class", that would meet for a couple of weeks, then either new
      ones would start or they'd go back to the normal schedule for a month
      or two. You didn't get any grade for 'em, so the teachers had quite
      a bit of leeway in what to "teach"--we had sports, reading & movie
      groups, languages, games of various kinds, etc.--and about once a
      year, one of the teachers would take over the social studies wing for
      RPGs, letting the gamer kids run stuff for whoever signed up. So,
      for example, you might have Gangbusters, Dawn Patrol, and a couple
      games of D&D going on, with some other boxed sets available if enough
      people were free. I don't recall many details of what went on then,
      but it got me pretty thoroughly hooked on RPGs.

      Tim
    • Chronicles .org
      Message 2 of 30 , May 1, 2001
        Craig commented on:
        >One of my favorite old games is one based on economy called
        >Gazillionaire. Props to anyone who's even actually heard of it.

        Remembering hearing vague rumours about it.
        But

        How did the game work and what was the plot/background on it?
        (*contemplates Gazillionaire as a tool for a Cyberpunk LARP..
        MUAH HA HA HA*)

        C.
      • Chronicles .org
        Message 3 of 30 , May 1, 2001
          Mike drooled...

          >SYNDICATE.
          >
          >Mmmm.... flamethrower.... little people running around on fire
          >screaming.....
          >excellent....

          OMGoddess...

          Boy that takes me down memory lane.
          (personally the gauss gun was my favorite..)

          *shoot* I'll have to track that game down now.

          And what's worse, I had only one territory left to take.
          It was that bloody oil platform that you get hit with gauss gun fire right
          when you walk out...

          I came close to winning that level once but the game froze on me at the most
          inopportune time.. :(

          C.
          (Remembers that they did a sequel Syndicate 2)
        • Peter Maksym
          Message 4 of 30 , May 1, 2001
            On Tue, 1 May 2001, Tim Emrick wrote:

            >> Umm...you taught a class on role-playing games to high-schools
            >> students???
            >
            >> How did you sneak that into the curriculum?
            >
            >Ah, nostalgia...I got my first taste of D&D through school, too. A
            >few times during the school year, my middle school had an "activity
            >period," where they'd reserve a few Friday afternoons for a
            >short "class", that would meet for a couple of weeks, then either new
            >ones would start or they'd go back to the normal schedule for a month
            >or two.

            Ah yes, official organizational sanction can be highly rewarding. I got
            my first taste of D&D while camping with the Boy Scout troop of my
            parochial grade school. It was confusing at first--I had no idea of what
            was going on. Then I played considerably more with non-Scout friends in
            High School. Eventually, my Scout troop started forming interest-themed
            Patrols, and I helped organize one patrol officially themed around
            role-playing games. It was a good feeling. In addition to AD&D, we
            played some Rifts and Heroes Unlimited. Last GenCon, I randomly ran into
            a former member of that Patrol.

            Maybe one of these days they'll have an RPG merit badge--complete with
            embroidered polyhedrons and pencils :)

            Pete
          • ratnap@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 30 , May 1, 2001
              > Craig commented on:
              > >One of my favorite old games is one based on economy called
              > >Gazillionaire. Props to anyone who's even actually heard of it.

              Hey, I think I've played that! I learned the value of insurance, and
              how it felt to make a fortune selling lava lamps, only to loose it by
              investing in jelly beans. Economics is interesting when you're
              dealing with something more fun than guns and butter. :)

              -Betsy
            • silway@aol.com
              Message 6 of 30 , May 2, 2001
                Careful, I got the game and loaded it onto my computer and it made a godawful
                mess of my startup files. That last level.... grrr.... wicked rough. I could
                only beat it by sending a single agent with 4 shields, a scanner, a long
                range and some miniguns. Turn the shield on when you arrive and then run
                around making the huge groups of agents fire into each other. They *all* drop
                bombs so be careful. Make sure to switch to different shields as one runs low
                so they recharge. More than one agent going always made their shields drop
                for some weird reason. The long range is to pick off the guard towers.

                But hey, the game has instant kill lasers...
                Mmmm.......

                Mike

                << *shoot* I'll have to track that game down now.

                And what's worse, I had only one territory left to take.
                It was that bloody oil platform that you get hit with gauss gun fire right
                when you walk out...

                I came close to winning that level once but the game froze on me at the most
                inopportune time.. :(

                C.
                (Remembers that they did a sequel Syndicate 2) >>
              • mathew
                Message 7 of 30 , May 8, 2001
                  Just thought I'd ruin people's bank balances and schedules by mentioning that

                  MYST III: EXILE is now shipping, and in stores

                  (Including EB in the Galleria Mall.)

                  mathew
                  --
                  mathew <meta@...> <URL:http://www.pobox.com/~meta/>