OT: donkey punching, anyone?

  • Leonid Andreev
    Message 1 of 98 , Oct 1, 2008
      There gotta be others on this list who want to see some live donkey
      punching as much as I do.

      So, here's the scope:

      The New England Wireless and Steam Museum in Rhode Island is having their
      annual "Yankee Steam-Up" this coming Saturday. They have a great
      collection of beautifully preserved steam engines from the 19th and early
      20th centuries, and once a year most of them are powered with
      live steam; more engines, large and small are brought in, displayed and
      powered-up by steam enthusiasts from all over the place. All in all, this
      promises to be a most awesome sight (not to mention the equally awesome
      hissing and puffing sound).

      Oh, and the donkey punching. As I said earlier, they feature a great
      number of different steam engine makes and design, including a couple of
      what they used to call "donkey engines" or "steam donkeys" -- large
      portable engines with characteristic vertical fire tube boilers that were
      used extensively in the logging industry all around North America. As I'm
      sure you all know, the operators of these engines were commonly referred
      to as "donkey punchers". So yeah, it is safe to say that some full-on,
      live donkey punching will take place.

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donkey_engine
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donkey_puncher

      Here's the info about the museum and the event, they have some pictures
      from previuos years, etc.:

      http://www.newsm.org/
      http://www.newsm.org/Museum/dates.html

      The museum is located in East Greenwich, RI; it is probably an hour+
      drive from Boston. The event goes between 8:30AM and 4:00PM and the
      admission is $15, with all the proceeds going to the upkeep of the museum
      and its awesome machinery.

      I am most definitely going. I missed it last year and I'm most determined
      not to miss it again. Anyone else want to go check it out?

      -L.
    • peter durand
      Message 98 of 98 , Apr 28, 2009
        yes, it is a beautiful message.