Deadline TODAY for committment to Soap Carving --> Glass sign project... AND FAQs

  • ageefess@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2007
      The deadline is TODAY to express interest in carving soap. Please send me an email OFFLIST if you think you may want to be a part of it. This will ensure you get all the details regarding this project.

      When is the carving due?
      The carving need to be in my hands no later than May 15th, 2007

      Is there a prefered kind or brand of soap?
      There is no preferred kind of soap. ANY kind of soap will work as long as it has a somewhat flat surface for you to create your work on. The chemical compound of the soap doesn't matter.

      Where would I send the soap carving?
      Details will come to those who have expressed interest in this project, via follow on email.

      If I am not local, how will I get it to you?
      You will use a supplied account info and send it to me via FedEx.

      Let's say I invite a bunch of burners to my house for a soap carving party -- once we have don'e that, what's the process forgetting them to you?
      That totally ROCKS! If local to the DC area, drive over to me; otherwise, FedEx using provided account number. Please make sure each bar of soap has how the artist wants to be credited, and it would be nice ot have an email if communication with that particular artist is needed.

      What is the maximum depth of the image?
      The depth should be, say about half the depth of a commercial bar of soap.

      Can we submit multiple carvings?
      Yes, multiple carvings would ROCK!

      I'm not familiar with what your project exactly is. I'm interested in participating, though -- can you tell me what's involved?
      Basically it's a glass illuminated Welcome Home sign. In the dark you should see the illuminated words "Welcome Home" and in the day you should be able to see the details on the art work that people have done.

      What sorts of things are people carving?
      Although I am saying the carving should be something related to Playa del Fuego, Burning Man or the principles, I'm pretty flexible in terms of what is acceptable.

      How do you make it happen?
      Essentially what happens is we make an impression in powdered (yes, powdered) plaster in a kiln using your soap. Then we place the plate glass above this impression, and the glass "melts" into this hole -- the powder meanwhile temporarily becomes a solid at this high temperature, so it holds the melted glass until everything cools off. After cooling the glass is in the shape of the original soap, and the plaster is back to powder form.