OT: Stephen Wolfram Lectures at New England Conservatory 5:30pm tonight! (Wed 3/1) free

  • Jeff Quinlan
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2006
      Burners, Burnettes, Burnitrons, and Heavens-to-Burnitroid,

      I'm going to the Stephen Wolfram Lecture at the New England Conservatory
      tonight. Please come with.

      He'll be speaking on how simple, deterministic, iterative programs can be
      used to model and generate music (as well as most everything we know about
      the natural sciences as well!) It's a bodacious claim, and he's either a
      genius or a crackpot, so I figured you'd be interested.

      He has authored the 1200+ page book, "Stephen Wolfram: A New Kind of
      Science" (and "Mathmatica".) ANKS is all about how simple, deterministic,
      iterative programs are relevant to *everything*. Check out more at his
      website: http://www.stephenwolfram.com

      New England Conservatory
      Wednesday, March 1st
      5:30pm
      Brown Hall
      Free
      Interdisciplinary Connections: Generating Music with A New Kind of Science,
      Stephen Wolfram, guest lecturer

      Dr. Stephen Wolfram will talk about his book A New Kind of Science and show
      how remarkably simple programs in his "computational universe" capture the
      essence of the complexity–and beauty–of many systems in nature and art. Dr.
      Wolfram’s generative model will be demonstrated through the performance of
      a collaborative musical work by Peter Overmann, director of Software
      Technology in Mathematica and Katarina Miljkovic, NEC faculty. Music will
      be performed by Joshua Weilerstein, violin, Angela Kim, piano, Tim
      Sciascia, Mary-Joy Patchett, Alex Kunzelman, and Derek Beckvold, saxophone.
      This event is sponsored by the NEC Theory department.

      Jeff Quinlan

      P.S. I'll be the tall one in a leather jacket.