Question for autosub

  • Patrick Nichols
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 1, 2005
      John,

      A small collection of folks are going to have a tiny theme camp
      nestled in the shadow of autosub (we're called "Pop Science"), and as
      part of the little camp we're going to have a little bar. I was
      hoping to solicit some advice from the veteran autosubbers about the
      bar, but I didn't want to spam the whole list. Basically we're trying
      to compute how much alcohol we need for the nights we'll be open, so
      I'm trying to figure out if there is a science to this or not. Do you
      figure a certain number of people/night, and an amt of alcohol/person,
      and collect bottles accordingly? Or do you just buy a wheelbarrow full
      of booze and wing it?

      If you know the person from which to solicit such advice, I'd greatly
      appreciate the info.

      Thanks,

      Patrick Nichols

    • Ken Mitchell
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 1, 2005
        Hi Patrick,

        I'll try an answer this for you. I bought the alcohol last year and
        tended bar a bunch of times so I have some first hand knowledge of how
        things went.

        Our camp last year was at 3:30 & Esp. We had two bars, per se. The
        main bar inside our cube and a special bar for stilters that was only
        open a few hours each day. Since the main bar accounted for 95% + of
        the alcohol consumed, I'll only talk about that.

        What we bought: the cheapest hard alcohol possible & mixers. We went
        with vodka, gin, tonic, soda and maybe something else. I had three
        shopping carts full of booze & mixers. It came to a total of $700.
        We had no beer, no water to give out. I shopped on a military base
        and had no tax & good prices. I don't recall the exact breakdown of
        how many fifths, how many 2 liter bottles of tonic, etc. It was very
        heavy to transport! But I drove out in an RV.

        We had a dozen or so large shot glasses that we reused and washed
        (dunk in mild bleach, rinse, the wipe with dusty rag). That saved on
        the trash. I'd say about 1/4 of the folks had their own cup.

        We also had a "bar". A 4 foot long chest-high table that sat about 4
        people around the outside of it.

        We started serving on Monday night, I think, and ran out by the end of
        Thursday night with maybe a little left over for Friday. We should
        have rationed the alcohol better - had a limit for each night. Also,
        we should have portioned the alcohol out like a bar does (measure out
        an ounce.) I was personally up bartending till daylight a couple
        times that week and closed the bar - we were busy right up till the
        wee hours.

        Bartending is fun. Lots of fun. You meet all sorts of folks and even
        get little gifts. During the week we had a pretty cool hang out
        inside the cube with folks meeting each other and talking. We had
        chairs set up all over like a comfy coffee shop & cool lighting. And
        of course, music.

        Looking back, I'm glad we gave out the alcohol during the week. The
        BM population expanded significantly by Friday and the crowd was less
        "cool" by then. When the weekend came, I think most of us were glad
        we could just run off and not worry about a major amount of visitors
        in our cube.

        There needs to be someone willing to stick around and bartend -
        preferably a couple people. The inside of the cube was about 40 x 40
        and we had quite a few people in there. Plus you always need someone
        to run and get stuff because you can't really leave the bar.

        We had absolutely no fights, misunderstandings, etc. that I'm aware
        of. We did have LOTS of strange poeple.

        We did not, to the best of my knowledge, advertise the fact that we
        had a bar. People just kind of wandered in. The cube was opaque on
        the outside so people had to wander in to see what was going on; they
        couldn't see that we had a bar from the Espl. We were at 3:30 & Espl.
        Given our location this year, I would certainly not advertise!!!

        You're not spamming the entire list with this BTW. I think we needed
        to talk about it anyways. I'm a bit out of the meeting loop but I
        seem to recall hearing at one point that we too were having a bar this
        year...? (can anyone answer this?)

        The non-answer to your question.

        1. How much alcohol?

        That's a tough one to answer. How much money do you have? ;-) How
        exposed is your bar/is there something that will make people come
        in/will you "advertise"?

        If autosub were to duplicate last year's effort, I'd say that we'd
        need at least $250 more of alcohol due to the higher traffic location.
        And I think that's a conservative estimate. I'd be curious to hear
        what others have to say. I know Matt and others were behind the bar
        for quite a bit.

        Hope this helps. Feel free to ask for clarification. And as always,
        this is my view on matters, and I'd never pretend to be the definitive
        voice on this. If you do have a bar - I look forward to coming over
        and saying hi!

        -Ken

        --- In bostonburns@yahoogroups.com, Patrick Nichols
        <patrickenichols@g...> wrote:
        > John,
        >
        > A small collection of folks are going to have a tiny theme camp
        > nestled in the shadow of autosub (we're called "Pop Science"), and as
        > part of the little camp we're going to have a little bar. I was
        > hoping to solicit some advice from the veteran autosubbers about the
        > bar, but I didn't want to spam the whole list. Basically we're trying
        > to compute how much alcohol we need for the nights we'll be open, so
        > I'm trying to figure out if there is a science to this or not. Do you
        > figure a certain number of people/night, and an amt of alcohol/person,
        > and collect bottles accordingly? Or do you just buy a wheelbarrow full
        > of booze and wing it?
        >
        > If you know the person from which to solicit such advice, I'd greatly
        > appreciate the info.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Patrick Nichols

      • Katie Hazard
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 2, 2005
          woo hoo, booze!

          yes, we're setting up the bar this year (as far as i know - the art
          pod is allotting space for it).

          who's in charge of stocking it?

        • majorgenome
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 2, 2005
            I'm stocking it.

            We're currently only planning on stocking it for scheduled happy hours.

            Not 24x7.

            y;out.
            john