Re: Vans, etc.

  • majorgenome
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 2, 2002
      I think a 6person van will do us fine. But lets see what Tom has to
      say about where he rented last year... Calling Mr. Landers.

      john(on vacation for the week)

      --- In bostonburns@y..., "thghost2001" <arbitransom@h...> wrote:
      > >> Let us know what you find for Vans. Tom may have some leads
      since
      > he booked this stuff last year(Tom?) <<
      >
      > So far what I'm finding is: "vans" run $460 - 530 or so per week
      (so
      > double that on the assumption that 1 1/2 weeks means 1 week plus a
      > less favorable daily rate for 4 days) if you get them from one o'
      > them usual rental places at the airport. (Given my late night
      > arrival, I'll bet those are the only places I can actually pick one
      > up at that time, but Tom if you have leads on cheaper options, I'd
      be
      > happy to put the rental on my credit card if someone else can pick
      it
      > up, so let me know.)
      >
      > "Minivans" are substantially less -- neighborhood of $250/wk.
      >
      > Vans are described as seating 12, with room for 2 lg., & 3 sm.
      pieces
      > of luggage; minivans seat 6 w/room for 1 lg., & 2 sm. You
      > meant "vans" right?
      >
      > >> About the meeting- a lot of people are gone this weekend, so
      maybe
      > an informal gathering next weeek would be best. And we can try for
      > more detail oriented meeting the week of July 15-18? By which time
      > I'm hoping travel plans will be firm'd up. <<
      >
      > 7/15-18 I can make. I can prolly even host then. I'll double-
      check
      > the calendar at work Monday and confirm.
      >
      > Tim
    • Tom Landers
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 4, 2002
        huh? me? hey i'm on vacation too.
        and it's freekin HOT. cant think...

        So last year i went with National, mostly because they have treated me very well in the
        past; everyone has about the same rates.
        When i have said van, i meant the minivan (GMC Safari) we had last year. An airport van
        would definitely be more than we need.
        From informal discussions, it sounds like a comfortable midsize car would suit our needs
        and minimize the expense. All the luggage can go in the truck...

        note to self: truck?

        dunno. any other opinions out there?

        --- majorgenome <jemajor@...> wrote:
        > I think a 6person van will do us fine. But lets see what Tom has to
        > say about where he rented last year... Calling Mr. Landers.
        >
        > john(on vacation for the week)

        > since
        > > he booked this stuff last year(Tom?) <<
        > >
        > > So far what I'm finding is: "vans" run $460 - 530 or so per week
        > (so
        > > double that on the assumption that 1 1/2 weeks means 1 week plus a
        > > less favorable daily rate for 4 days) if you get them from one o'
        > > them usual rental places at the airport. (Given my late night
        > > arrival, I'll bet those are the only places I can actually pick one
        > > up at that time, but Tom if you have leads on cheaper options, I'd
        > be
        > > happy to put the rental on my credit card if someone else can pick
        > it
        > > up, so let me know.)
        > >
        > > "Minivans" are substantially less -- neighborhood of $250/wk.
        > >
        > > Vans are described as seating 12, with room for 2 lg., & 3 sm.
        > pieces
        > > of luggage; minivans seat 6 w/room for 1 lg., & 2 sm. You
        > > meant "vans" right?

        > maybe
        > > an informal gathering next weeek would be best. And we can try for
        > > more detail oriented meeting the week of July 15-18? By which time
        > > I'm hoping travel plans will be firm'd up. <<
        > >
        > > 7/15-18 I can make. I can prolly even host then. I'll double-
        > check
        > > the calendar at work Monday and confirm.
        > >
        > > Tim

        http://sbc.yahoo.com
      • majorgenome
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 8, 2002
          Some discussion went on this last week about vans......

          If it is substantially cheaper to rent a car, it would probably make
          more financial sense to skip the van since all we really need it for
          is to transport people for 3 hours each way to BRC. spending an
          extra
          1-200$$ would be a waste. We'll have AC, so we can squeeze- and
          anyway, there is ample truck space(and roof space) to
          hold luggage.

          Tim, could you check out prices on cars too?

          I'm sending out a travel ultimatum after this- stay tuned.

          John

        • Mike Buckland
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 8, 2002
            my itinerary: