Re: infrared heaven (hell?)

  • majorgenome
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 1, 2004
      wow! pretty cool!

      *Note that nate -probably- won't be going to B.M. _grin_.... thats a
      downgrade from NOT going to B.M. Hmmmmmmm!

      john

      --- In bostonburns@yahoogroups.com, Nathaniel Strauss <nstrauss@d...>
      wrote:
      > Last year I brainstormed quite a bit about doing a project using
      infrared.

      > Unfortunately I'm probably not going to B.M. this year, but if I
      were, I
      > would HAVE to figure out something to do with this:
      >
      > http://www.gizmodo.com/archives/one-million-candlepower-infrared-
      spotlight-010044.php
    • majorgenome
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 1, 2004
        i like it! but how strong is 1million candle power anyway? Is this
        just a way to suker someone(me?) who doesn't realize a 60W light bulb
        is 1million candle power? I could look this up, but am feeling lazy.

        I really like the invisible lighthouse/projection thing..... if only
        someone had time to do it.....

        john

        --- In bostonburns@yahoogroups.com, "Christopher Morse" <chris@c...>
        wrote:
        > Ooh I've got it!
        >
        > One could set this up on a revolving stand on top of the
        structure. Then
        > mount a nightshot video camera (or nigh vision goggles) and monitor
        with a
        > wide view of the playa. The rotating beam would sweep a clear(er)
        image of
        > the nighttime playa giving a radar-like effect. There're numerous
        > variations on this. One could mount the camera and light together
        so you
        > just saw a sweeping nightvision shot of the playa. I suppose you
        could also
        > just go around looking for naked people too but I don't think
        that'd be
        > right. I like the fixed "invisible lighthouse" thing.
        >
        > Talk amongst yourselves.
        >
        > Chris

      • nsstrauss
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 2, 2004
          I love the IR spotlight idea. If I were going to Burning Man this year I'd =
          do it!

          John, check out the snippet below that I got from a website that sells IR l=
          ights. It
          doesn't answer your question, but it does shine some light on the subject. =
          (Ooh.. I
          cringe at myself.)

          ar that you
          need 2 things to do that:
          1 - a special filter that only transmits IR (I have one)
          2 - a pre-2000 Sony NiteShot camera (I don't have one, hard to find)

          Nate

          ----
          A common question we get is, " I am interested in your IR light, how far ca=
          n I see with
          it?"

          You need IR sensitive equipment to see IR light.  Your unaided eye cann=
          ot see our IR
          lights.  IR sensitive equipment may be a camcorder with NiteShot, IR di=
          gital camera,
          IR film camera, Night Vision equipment or any device capable of seeing =
          near-IR
          light.

          IR sensitive devices vary widely in sensitivity.  There is a huge diffe=
          rence between a
          camcorder with NiteShot and a generation IV Night Vision scope.  An IR =
          light that is
          good for 15 feet with a camcorder might be good for 300 with a highly s=
          ensitive
          scope.

          Thus, there is no answer on how far you can see without also considering yo=
          ur viewing
          device.