RE: [bostonburns] question for metal heads

  • Christopher Morse
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 2, 2004

      All of what Doug says is true and at this point you’re probably noticing that it’s no picnic to weld aluminum.  You might consider the following

      1. Use steel instead.  Is it really necessary to use Aluminum?  Done properly, the difference in weight won’t be much.  Esp. considering that you’re probably going to have to err on the beefy side since the AL welds are going to be suspect.

      1. Consider brazing (a.k.a. silver solder, etc) this is reasonably easy to do and makes a pretty strong joint if done right.  You might have to change your planned joint geometry to make brazing effective.  Brazing likes a lot of surface are to join parts.

      1. Use bolts and other mechanical joints to do the job.  Perhaps in conjunction with brazing.

      Also, draw what you want to do in detail no matter how simple it seems and then show / explain it to a lot of people.  Another set of eyes will see things you missed and just the process of explaining things may lead to a break-through to a better way.

      Chris

      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 2, 2004
        Oh and I can probably make your parts for you.