Re: [bostonburns] Rope Light

  • Nathaniel Strauss
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 1, 2003
      What's the advantage of this over EL?

      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 1, 2003
        EL is lighter-weight, more configurable. The rope lights might be more
        visible from a distance? And maybe cheaper? (Mr. Morse?)

        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 1, 2003
          I think we need something like this (good visibility) around the edges of
          the cube, to set it off at night.

          On Sat, 2 Aug 2003, Alex Lenz wrote:

          > They're cheaper and are better or camp usage better visibility.
          >
          > Alex

        • Tom Landers
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 1, 2003
            Also, more basic considerations:
            - Rope lights throw off substantial illumination, EL glows but you can't really see by
            it.
            - EL requires a special DC power supply. Ropes run off regular 120V AC.
            - EL joints are soldered, rope light connectors are simple snap-on plastic & metal plugs
            - EL wire has a short life expectancy compared with mini bulbs (100s of hours vs.
            25,000).

            However, 300' is a lot of fircking light...
            At 5.5W/foot that's 1650W
            And at ~$1/foot the uncut rolls of rope light don't seem much cheaper than the stuff with
            connectors already installed (no references handy, apologies).

            I wuv rope light, let's look for deals on prefabricated stuff? Like the yellow ones Alex
            got last year?

            --- Nathaniel Strauss <nstrauss@...> wrote:
            > EL is lighter-weight, more configurable. The rope lights might be more
            > visible from a distance? And maybe cheaper? (Mr. Morse?)
            >
            > On Sat, 2 Aug 2003, Alex Lenz wrote:
            >
            > > Camp lighting? On a massive scale? I don't really know, that's why I was
            > > throwing it out there for discussion

            http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
          • Alex Lenz
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 1, 2003