Jailbird Bungles!

  • Richard Smith
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 5, 2006
      Well, Ash, I WAS going to say something about them, but it pretty much
      speaks for itself, doesn't it?
      What a bunch of cornholes!
      Richard
    • SteelersInMyTree@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 5, 2006
        Well I hate to sound hmm, i don't know, but don't the Steelers have their issues with HOLMES? Now, I know it probably isn;t any  big deal, but the Steelers need to keep on eye on this. I know the jaw will not tolerate any BS.  Does anybody know what exactly Holmes did?

        The only thing better than the murderer Ray Lewis being in trouble would be for that CORNHOLE CHad Johnson to get arrested for something bad.  And well, maybe Carson could break a leg again playing golf or something...LMAO.....

        HERE WE GO!!

        Christopher
      • D. Sculley
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 5, 2006
          The way I heard it, Holmes got caught in the middle of a general police
          crackdown in South Beach. It was a party weekend that had gotten out of
          hand in recent years, and the local cops were on orders to round folks up at
          the slightest hint of misbehavior. Holmes was one of 500+ arrested that
          night. He was standing in the street -- not charged with public
          intoxication or anything else like that. And by all accounts he was humble
          and respectful during his arrest, and seems genuinly distraught that it
          happened.

          Now, it's still a case of Holmes choosing to be in the wrong place at the
          wrong time, and he's got to make better decisions than that over the long
          term. I'm sure that Cowher will explain to him in no uncertain terms how
          things will be moving forward. But I do not think it's anywhere near the
          same thing as the Bungles guys getting arrested for things like theft and
          multiple DUI. (Fingers crossed.)

          D.

          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 5, 2006
            This is what I read as well. I hope you're right. All
            the profiles of Holmes when he was drafted talked
            about how responsible he was growing up. So I think
            this will ultimately be no more than a footnote in his
            career, but the strange things are that (1) his
            mother, with whom he's supposedly very close, thought
            he was at Ohio State at the time, and (2) with all
            this talk about him having to miss time with the team
            because of school, you'd think he would have been
            there!

            As for the Bengals, it's not too surprising. They are
            a talented but immature team. Look at how
            overconfident they got after beating us last year. The
            irony is that I think our biggest challenge next
            season will be motivation vis a vis replacing the
            veteran leadership we've lost. We don't want to end up
            like the Bengals (I don't see it happening).

            Webb

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Michael Burstin
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 6, 2006
              One comment on your second point is, I think his missing time with the
              team is more to do with NFL regulations than any real choice of his. I
              mean, his college life is essentially over, and it would be
              understandable to be in semi-break mode. I'm not even sure, is it
              possible that their main school term is over (I don't know how their
              terms work at his school).

              One other point is, I don't think that the Rooneys would tolerate having
              common criminals (like the Bungles seem to have) remain on their team.
              While we have not really seen any cases of it in the past, I think
              anyone with any felony convictions would get cut from the team. Just
              the way they operate.

            • Ashly Tomlinson
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 6, 2006
                We have had a bit of insight into what the Rooneys might do. Bam Morris
                appeared to be trouble (law-wise), and the Steelers didn't hesitate with
                cutting him. And a smart move it was!

                ~Ashly

              • D. Sculley
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 12, 2006
                  Ben got into a motorcycle accident today about 11:30am. He was described as
                  being alert and conscious when taken to the hospital. Paramedics had neck
                  collar on him, and there was a lot of blood. He is currently in surgery.
                  His condition is described as serious but stable.

                  All the Pittsburgh sports websites I follow have crashed due to the spike in
                  traffic. But I've found updates at:

                  http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

                  POSTED 1:30 p.m. EDT, June 12, 2006

                  ROETHLISBERGER IN SURGERY

                  Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger currently is undergoing surgery for
                  injuries suffered in a Monday morning automobile accident.

                  Dr. Larry Jones of Mercy Hospital declined to offer any details regarding
                  the nature of the surgery.

                  Roethlisberger is listed in serious but stable condition. Dr. Jones said
                  that Roethlisberger was alert and talking before the commencement of the
                  procedure.

                  Reporters on WTAE are speculating that Roethlisberger is having surgery to
                  repair jaw injuries.

                  POSTED 1:21 p.m. EDT, June 12, 2006

                  NO WORD YET ON BIG BEN'S CONDITION

                  All parties remain tight-lipped regarding the condition of Steelers
                  quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, who is being treated at Mercy Hospital in
                  Pittsburgh after being involved in a motorcycle accident at 11:37 a.m. on
                  Monday.

                  Per WTAE-TV, Steelers chairman Dan Rooney is on his way to the hospital.
                  Teammate Charlie Batch is already at the facility, but has declined to
                  comment.

                  Team spokesman Dave Lockett told WTAE that he'll defer comment to a
                  specialist, who is expected to address the media by 1:30 p.m.

                  The most ominous aspect of the story, in our view, is that the matter has
                  been assigned to the homicide department of the Pittsburgh police, which
                  happens whenever (as a police spokesman told WTAE) there's an accident
                  involving "critical" injuries.

                  POSTED 11:55 a.m. EDT; LAST UPDATED 1:05 p.m. EDT, June 12, 2006

                  ROETHLISBERGER IN "PRETTY BAD" MOTORCYCLE ACCIDENT

                  The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reports that Steelers quarterback Ben
                  Roetlisberger has been injured in a motorcycle accident near the 10th Street
                  Bridge in Pittsburgh.

                  (As of 12:10 p.m. EDT, the Tribune-Review's web site had crashed, apparently
                  due to the enormous spike in traffic.)

                  The accident occurred at 11:37 a.m. He was not wearing a helmet. A veteran
                  police officer has told WTAE-TV that the accident was "pretty bad."

                  Per WTAE, Roethlisberger has been taken to the trauma unit at Mercy Hospital
                  in Pittsburgh. There are no specifics as to his condition.

                  A witness to the aftermath of the accident told WTAE at 12:11 p.m. that
                  Roethlisberger was alert and talking to paramedics, but there was "blood
                  everywhere." The witness also said that Roethlisberger was wearing a neck
                  collar. As of 12:17 p.m., neither the Mercy Hospital officials nor the team
                  would divulge any details.

                  Another witness told WTAE that Roethlisberger "T-boned" a vehicle, struck
                  the windshield with his head (the photo of the shattered glass is horrific),
                  rolled onto the ground and struck his head on the pavement. His eyes were
                  open but he was very confused and disoriented. He said that he was "okay"
                  and tried to get up.

                  Roethlisberger was criticized in 2005 for not wearing a helmet, which was
                  revealed after Browns tight end Kellen Winslow wrecked his crotch rocket and
                  suffered a torn ACL and internal injuries.

                  Said Roethlisberger at the time: "I'm pretty conservative and laid back.
                  I'll just continue to be careful. [W]e always ride in a group of people,
                  and I think it makes it even more safe."

                  There's no indication that Roethlisberger was riding in a group on Monday
                  morning.

                  Stay tuned.
                • D. Sculley
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 12, 2006
                    New update looks bad, including the possibility of injuries to both knees.
                    Let's keep our fingers crossed for Ben.

                    D.

                    By Jill King Greenwood and and Karen Roebuck
                    TRIBUNE-REVIEW
                    Monday, June 12, 2006

                    Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is in serious but stable condition
                    and in surgery this afternoon following a serious head injury this morning
                    after his motorcycle collided with a car on Second Avenue near the 10th
                    Street Bridge, police said.
                    Roethlisberger lost most of his teeth, fractured his left sinus cavity bone,
                    suffered a nine-inch laceration to the back of his head and a broken jaw,
                    and severely injured both of his knees when he hit the ground, police said.

                    A plastic surgeon has been summoned.

                    "He is right now in the (operating room) undergoing some surgery from
                    injuries he received in this accident today," said Dr. Larry Jones, chief of
                    trauma and burns at Mercy Hospital, Uptown. ... He was talking to me before
                    he left for the OR. He's coherent. He's making sense. He knows what
                    happened."

                    Roethlisberger, 24, who was not wearing a helmet, collided with a Chrysler
                    New Yorker shortly before 11:25 a.m. and was thrown off his motorcycle,
                    flying head-first into the car's windshield "with a pretty good force," said
                    a veteran city police officer.

                    Roethlisberger was talking and moving his arms and legs after the accident.
                    He suffered injuries to his face and lost several teeth, according to city
                    firefighters.

                    The injured quarterback was taken to Mercy Hospital, said a Steelers
                    spokesman, who declined to provide other information.

                    The car, which has Maine license plates, was heading west on Second Avenue
                    and was turning left onto the 10th Street Bridge. Roethlisberger was driving
                    east on Second Avenue riding a Suzuki Hayabusa and collided with the car at
                    the intersection of the bridge and the Armstrong Tunnels.

                    Roethlisberger, who led the Steelers to a Super Bowl championship this year,
                    slammed into the windshield, rolled over the car and landed on the pavement,
                    striking his head again, said a woman who witnessed the accident.

                    The witness, who declined to give her name, asked Roethlisberger several
                    times if he was OK. He eventually replied, "My name is Ben."

                    He asked: "Where am I?"

                    "You're at the Armstrong Tunnel," the witness said.

                    "What city is that in?" he said.

                    "Pittsburgh," the woman replied.

                    Roethlisberger fell silent for about a minute and then tried to stand up.

                    "I'm OK," he said.

                    "No you're not," said the woman, who instructed him to stay still.

                    Pittsburgh homicide detectives are investigating the accident, which is
                    standard procedure when critical injuries are involved, said city police Lt.
                    Kevin Kraus.

                    Roethlisberger's 2005 Suzuki Hayabusa, which is named after a Japanese bird
                    of prey, was totaled. The front wheel was broken in half. The handle bars
                    were broken. The left pedal was shattered. The 170-horsepower bike, which
                    weighs 500 pounds fully loaded, was targeted by law enforcement agencies
                    worldwide after its 1998 debut because it could reach a top speed of 189
                    mph.

                    Suzuki Motorcycles of North America gave Roethlisberger the bike as part of
                    a promotional deal in exchange for him appearing at several Suzuki
                    dealerships in the area, including Andrews Cycle in Salem, Ohio where he
                    picked up the motorcycle last summer. Andrews' sales staff declined comment.

                    The motorcycle is popular among first-time buyers, said Steve Stiller, a
                    salesman at Northgate Motorcycles in Cranberry, Butler County.

                    Roethlisberger has said in the past that he prefers not to wear a helmet
                    when riding his motorcycle. He has pointed out Pennsylvania's 35-year-old
                    state law requiring helmets to be worn was amended to make helmets optional.

                    In May 2005, Steelers coach Bill Cowher lectured Roethlisberger on the
                    dangers of riding without a helmet.

                    "He talked about being a risktaker and I'm not really a risktaker. I'm
                    pretty conservative and laid back, but the big thing is to just be careful,"
                    Roethlisberger said at the time. "I'll just continue to be careful. I told
                    him we don't ever ride alone, we always ride in a group of people, and I
                    think it makes it even more safe."

                    In May 2005, Cleveland Browns tight end Kellen Winslow Jr. tore knee
                    ligaments in a motorcycle accident and was lost for the season.

                    Roethlisberger continued to ride after Winslow's accident and that angered
                    Terry Bradshaw, who quarterbacked the Steelers to four Super Bowl victories
                    during the 1970s.

                    Visiting the Steelers' training camp last summer, Bradshaw remarked: "Ride
                    it when you retire."

                    Earlier this year, Roethlisberger led the Steelers to the NFL title, giving
                    the team the fifth Super Bowl win they had been chasing since 1980.

                    The Associated Press contributed to this report.