Sing Chanties in Boston

  • A Cappella News
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 7 9:28 PM
      I thought some of you might find this press release interesting.
      Sounds like a fun opportunity to sing some a cappella.

      John Neal

      Yo ho ho! Sea chanteys inspire singers

      It is easy to sing a sea chantey: Just say: "to me way-hey-hey-YAH,"
      said Lynn Noel, one of the founding members of a group of singers that
      brings its special brand of maritime history to the MIT Museum each month.

      The sea chantey developed to help coordinate the work on a ship, said
      David Kessler, program assistant in the MIT Sloan School of
      Management, who co-produced the program with Noel, an Arlington
      resident. At its heart, the sea chantey is working music, with songs
      for pumping water from a ship, heaving at a capstan to bring up an
      anchor and hauling on lines to trim the sails.

      Hauling chanteys come in two basic types: one for long, slow jobs,
      called drag chanteys, and one for short, quick jobs called short drag

      "Traditionally, chanteys were mostly sung a cappella, although
      sometimes there would be a fiddle or banjo," Kessler said. Both the
      concertina and melodeon ( button accordion ) might also have been used
      as accompaniment.

      Noel and Kessler, along with MIT alumni Jeff Keller ( S.B. 1988 ) and
      Michael Bergman ( Ph.D. 1992 ), brought the chantey sings to MIT and
      to Boston this summer. Both San Francisco and New York City have
      monthly sings. New York's is held in the historic South Street Seaport.

      With its history of sailing and rowing, Boston was ripe for a monthly
      sing, Noel and Kessler said. "Boston really deserved to have its own
      sea music community," said Noel.

      The group first met at the MIT Sailing Pavilion in July and August.
      Roughly 30 chantey singers from all over the state sat on the dock,
      near the water. "There is a degree of authenticity you get when you
      are right out on the water singing about the water," said Noel.

      The sings moved to the museum for winter but will likely return to the
      waterfront when the weather improves.

      The MIT singers are open to any song of the sea, said Kessler. "We'll
      sing any song that's about sailors, ships, fishermen, dockyard workers
      or waterside neighborhoods. We cover all these under the umbrella
      'maritime songs,'" he said.

      Kessler has been sailing since he was a teenager, but said the songs
      give him a new appreciation for it. "As I became more interested in
      boats and larger ships, I became interested in their culture --
      chanteys are fun and easy, and help me appreciate boats and sailing as
      much as sailing itself," he said.

      For others, singing the chanteys is an opportunity to bring history
      alive. "It gives us an opportunity to bring the past into the
      present," Noel said. Just last week, a group of 100 singers came
      together to celebrate the bicentennial of the Battle of Trafalgar, the
      famous 1805 sea battle in which Britain's fleet, commanded by Adm.
      Horatio Nelson, defeated the French under Napoleon. "It is a form of
      living history," said Noel.

      Although the majority of chanteys at the Boston sing are in English,
      the songs show up in almost every language in the world. Last month,
      an MIT graduate student who attended a sing performed a Polish chantey.

      In the time before motors, "sailing vessels were moved by hand and
      heart," said Noel. These songs keep that memory alive, celebrating the
      sea and all the hard work that went into exploring it.

      "The songs are an experiential education," Noel said. "They have a
      real context; the songs allow you to travel the world without leaving
      your chair."

      A version of this article appeared in MIT Tech Talk on November 2, 2005

      For more information, or to join in, visit:-