Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts

  • gmabbass@juno.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 13, 2002
      ----- Forwarded Message -----
      From: "Brenda Ulrich"

      For some time now I've been wanting to share with the choir, and in particular those with career aspirations in music, information about a group which might be able to help you along the way.
      I am a volunteer lawyer with the Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts of Massachusetts, which is a nonprofit organization dedicated to providing free or reduced fee legal assistance to artists.  The lawyers are often people (like me) who are employed by for profit firms or businesses but want to dedicate some pro bono time to helping foster the arts. VLA can provide assistance on a large range of legal issues, including reviewing contracts or assisting in contract disputes, copyright issues, immigration, as well assisting nonprofits arts groups with their incorporation issues and much more. For more information, you can contact them or visit their website directly at:

        Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts of Massachusetts, Inc.     |
      |         249 A Street, Studio 14, Boston, MA  02110                          |
      |         phone/TTY (617) 350-7600; fax (617) 350-7610               |
      |         mail@...                                                 |
      |        www.vlama.org

      The way the process works: You contact VLA with the issue, and they will try to match you up with a lawyer with expertise on that issue.  While you have to meet certain income limits to qualify, the reduced fee program gives some added flexibility.

      (Disclaimer:  I am NOT trying to drum up business here! I interned with the VLA in Washington, DC during law school and saw that they provided help to a lot of people, but that often the biggest problem was making artists aware of the VLA's existence. My hope is just to pass on the information.)