Hyannis Sound Auditions Fast-Approaching!

  • colin.hyannissound
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 11, 2012
      Hey Guys,

      My name is Colin Egan and I am the Music Director for the Hyannis Sound, a professional all-male a cappella group based in Hyannis, MA.  If you think singing all summer for audiences across Cape Cod and beyond sounds like an awesome summer job, we would love to have you audition for us! We're looking to fill a few slots this off-season , and we will be looking for all voice parts to audition. This year, auditions will be held in Boston on Friday, March 16th and Saturday, March 17th, with call-backs on Sunday, March 18th.

      If you're interested, here's a little background: the group was founded in 1994, based on ten guys living in a house for a summer and sing for a living. Every summer since then, the group consists of whoever can come back from the previous summer along with the new guys we have selected to keep the group's total at ten.  The ten of us move into a house in Hyannis, MA on Cape Cod around Memorial Day. Over the course of three months, we perform over 100 shows until we part ways towards the end of August. The pay is comparable to a typical summer job, but the "work" is unlike anything you've ever experienced.

      The preliminary auditions will be split into 10-15 minute time slots on the evening of Friday, March 16th (5pm-9pm) and all day on Saturday, March 17th (11am-9pm). Call-backs will be on Sunday, March 18th (10am-3pm). We ask you to prepare a verse and a chorus of two solos preferably different genres (even though we might just have you sing one) to be performed a cappella. We'll do a range test, have you quickly learn part of an arrangement, and possibly have you do some exercises testing your ear. If you can do vocal percussion, we'd love to hear that as well.

      We do have a couple requirements for the auditions. You must be auditioning between your senior year of high school and your senior year of college. In other words, you can audition if you're about to graduate high school or college in 2010. You have to be available to live on Cape Cod with the group between (roughly) May 21st and August 24th, and you must make the commitment to the group for at least two summers. As long as that works for you, we'd love for you to try out.

      Email me back at colin.hyannissound@... with your name, phone number, voice part, school, and group (if you're in one). Also include your top choice for a time slot on either Friday or Saturday. I'll try and schedule you as close to your preferred time as possible; the sooner you respond, the better chance you have at getting the time that works best for you. Auditions will be held in room 205 of the Mugar Library on Boston University's Campus.

      I hope you give this opportunity some thought. Auditioning for the Hyannis Sound was one of the best decisions I ever made and I look forward to hearing from you!

      Sincerely,
      Colin Egan
      Music Director of the Hyannis Sound