A cappella group seeks music director

  • Primarily A Cappella
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 15, 2000
      The Waylers are a non-profit a cappella group in Wayland,
      Massachusetts, dedicated to providing its members and audiences with
      a high quality musical experience reflecting a variety of popular
      styles. Our eclectic repertoire spans gospel, do-wop, popular
      standards, show tunes, folk, spirituals, jazz and novelty songs. The
      director should have experience leading a cappella groups, know and
      appreciate varied musical styles, and be able to sing and give
      specific and constructive direction emphasizing vocal skills and
      blend. The director will select music and should have sufficient
      keyboard skills to help singers learn parts. Experience in arranging
      a cappella music is a plus, but not essential.

      Commitment: We hold a two-hour rehearsal once every other week
      (except July and August) in Wayland, Massachusetts. In the future,
      we plan to perform about four times a year, although a smaller subset
      of members might perform more frequently.

      Compensation: The director will be paid a fixed fee for each
      rehearsal and performance, and will be paid for arrangements that are
      performed.

      About the Waylers: The Waylers sing to share our musical enjoyment
      with community audiences. In 2000 we had 12 voices, 5 men and 7
      women, ranging in age from mid-20s to late 50s. We performed at
      community events and concerts in the Boston Metropolitan area. We
      have recorded two CDs, and plan to do a studio recording every two
      years in the future. Our past director (who had served 12 years)
      recently resigned to devote more time to growing professional and
      personal responsibilities. Some members used his departure as an
      opportunity to reassess their priorities, and also decided to seek
      other venues and opportunities. We have a core of seven singers
      (parts covered), and plan to expand the group to 14 to16 singers.
      Membership is by audition.

      For more information, contact Dale Parent at 508-358-6341 or by
      e-mail at parentdg@...