Sing Off (yeah, a little late)

  • Mark Miller
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 18, 2011
      Okay, FINALLY finished watching the Sing Off (a week or so ago). So, yeah, WAY old news, but some of my thoughts (sorry, in bullet form for brevity):

      • Yes, overall higher calilber of groups than last year... and more of them to start, correct?
      • Like the judges, I would not have been able to eliminate the last 4 groups to 3, so glad they did not.
      • Even tho I was rooting for Street Corner Symphony... their "Fix You" and "Creep" just blew me away and "Everybody Wants to Rule the World" was better than the original... "Committed" was really the only group that I never heard make a single mistake... ever. So the best group really did win.
      • I agree the jazz group probably got short shrift. A cappella jazz and barbershop still don't get enough respect in the current a cappella world. There wasn't even a barbershop group in the competition, male or female. That's just wrong... whether you sing bshop or not, it's legitimate and also a significant piece of the a cappella pie.
      • The judges, as a group, talked a bit about blend and harmony here and there, but their comments focused WAY too much on the soloists. These are a cappella GROUPS, boys and girls, not a cappella SOLOISTS!
      • Please can we get rid of Nicole what's her name? She has nothing to say! You're going to tell me that in the whole a cappella world, there isn't a better qualified female judge? You're kidding me, right?
      • Overall, tho, a good show and some amazing talent. Hope it comes back again next year. My group wants to keep learning what is possible is this fantastic genre!

      Mark Miller
      Tuckermans at 9

    • Michael Klein
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 21, 2011
        Hello Mark (et al)

        It is gratifying to me personally to hear someone speaking up for Barbershop Harmony (and Jazz) groups.  I LOVE Groove For Thought.

        I feel comfortable letting everyone know that the show is actively seeking Barbershop Harmony Quartets, but having trouble getting a group of high standards that can also meet the time demands.  So many of us just can't get the time off from work.

        While I love the show, my biggest pet peeve (aside from the glitzy costumes) is that they insist the groups sing music that is not theirs.  I'd like to hear each group doing their best stuff, even though it crosses genre, much like the Harmony Sweepstakes here in Boston.

        As I understand it, the show's mission is to start with popular music to help draw a large viewer base before veering off.  I can understand this strategy from a business perspective, yet I still can't help to think if the TV Networks continue to underestimate their audiences.

        Since you mentioned it, and since many of you out there are educators, you may have some interest in an upcoming Barbershop Harmony Society Webcast.
        We are sponsoring a Youth Festival in Las Vegas next weekend and you will love the talent that these young groups exhibit.  I particularly am proud of it because we have some evidence that the new generation is taking to the art form

        The contest starts at 10:45 a.m. PST on Saturday, January 29, 2011.
        Here is the link:

        There has yet to be a group from New England represented in this festival, but we are working on it. If you would like to help, or you are interested in how you can send your own group, please let me  know.

        Thanks to all for spreading the joy of music, and especially a cappella harmony.

        --
        Michael Klein
        Barbershop Harmony Society

        “Nothing is worth more than this day.” Johann Goethe