Audition call for male singer/actors for a new musical (paid)

  • nellen2003
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 23, 2010
      www.collegeboundthemusical.com/

      College/Bound is a dramatic comedy about family expectations and college aspirations.

      There are complications, revelations and transformations.

      Audition Call:

      We are seeking singing actors - and acting singers - for a June 12th staged reading of this new musical in beautiful Margaret Jewett Hall in Harvard Square.

      We will be casting four women (high altos & mezzo-sopranos) and three men (tenor, baritone, bass). Good comic timing and the ability to sing harmony are musts.

      Why audition? Juicy roles and tasty songs -- for all cast members. Plus there's a stipend of $200, and you'll be helping new musical theater in Boston.

      We are currently seeking tenors, baritones, and basses for our May auditions.

      Performance Date: June 12th (a Saturday afternoon)

      Rehearsals: Six rehearsals: June 1 and June 2 (Tues & Wed) 7pm - 10pm; June 6 (Sunday) 2pm - 5pm; June 8 and June 9 (Tues & Wed) 7pm - 10pm; June 11 (Friday) 7pm - 10pm.

      We'll try to be accommodating of scheduling needs but please expect to be at all rehearsals for the full rehearsal duration.

      Audition Logistics:

      Dates: May 9 (Sunday) 2pm - 5pm; May 11 (Tues) 7pm - 10pm; Callbacks May 12 (Wednesday) 7pm - 10pm

      Location: West Somerville, bus and redline accessible. (Location will be sent to auditionees.)

      How auditions will work: You'll will get your own time block. You will first go through the singing audition. If that goes well, you'll move on to the acting audition. Expect to spend forty-five minutes from beginning to end (including waiting time (which we try to keep to a minimum)).

      We welcome you to audition non-traditionally e.g. older person for a teenage role. The important thing is to be able to play the part physically through posture and gesture, and vocally, rather than through the correct age appearance.

      Audition Requirements

      * Prepared song, with piano accompaniment in the correct key.
      * Portions of songs from the show (which we'll send you beforehand).
      * Scenes from the show (which we'll send you beforehand).

      Booking An Audition Slot

      Please send the following to marlena@... :

      * Relevant experience (e.g. roles in musicals, other performance experience (vocal, acting, comedy etc), training (acting, singing, dancing etc) - and anything else you'd like us to know).
      * Vocal Range (specifics please, e.g. F2 - F4, or "A below middle C to high C")
      * Contact info (day and evening)
      * Age (if under 18)
      * Blocks of time you are available to audition (e.g. May 9 3-5pm)

      Questions: Send an email to marlena@...

      Major Roles:

      ELLEN— A smart plain Jane who tries to please her parents - at first. She starts off as seven but mostly appears as high school age. Ellen is in every scene. This role is for a high alto or mezzo-soprano.

      FATHER — Ellen's father. He is exacting, wanting things just so. He easily feels insulted and "crossed". This is a rich role, both dramatic and comic, with a poignant back-story informing the Father's behavior. This part is for a baritone.

      MOTHER — Ellen's mother. She caters to the Father. She is very attentive to him and behaves as if "in service" to him whenever he is present. That said, the Father isn't always present. This role is for a high alto or mezzo-soprano.

      Other Substantial Roles:

      COLOR COMMENTATOR (CC) — He comments on the action in Ellen's home. His presentation is always a bit over-dramatic. The CC will also play Ellen's football-playing love interest, a preppy classmate, and a semi-tough delinquent. The actor will cover a lot of character ground, and should be able to delineate characters with posture, gesture, and voice. We seek a tenor or bass.

      MEASURER — He measures activities involving Ellen and her father and reports on his findings as he makes them. This is an important comic role. The Measurer will also play the football coach, a preppy classmate, and a semi-tough delinquent. The actor will cover a lot of character ground, and should be able to delineate characters with posture, gesture, and voice. We seek a tenor or bass.

      POT GIRL — She is a classmate of Ellen's. She is confident, assured, friendly - and often high. Pot Girl will also play a neighbor and various minor roles. This role will also understudy the Mother. This role is for a high alto or mezzo-soprano.

      DETENTION ANGEL — She is a classmate who loves Ellen from afar. She is timid but hopeful. The Detention Angel will also play a guidance counselor and various minor roles. This role will understudy Ellen. This role is for a high alto or mezzo-soprano.

      Other Info

      College/Bound is a new musical written and composed by Marlena Merrin, with arrangements by Mark Shilansky, Tim Ray, Mary Bichner and Marlena Merrin. Music Direction by Eve Golfarb. Director is Marlena Merrin.

      Both the overall musical and its songs have been through multiple rounds of critiquing. It's time to show the show!

      About Marlena: Marlena is a playwright, songwriter, improv actor, and sometime standup comic.

      About Eve: Eve is a music director of long experience and an accomplished acappella singer.