Please join us at the Sounds of Concord Annual Show, Saturday Sept 26th (2 shows available)

  • Lee Daum
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 6, 2009
    Dear Friends:

    Please join the Sounds of Concord for an exciting evening of A Cappella music at our Annual Show "7th" Heaven”, Saturday September 26th at either 2 pm or 7 pm, at the John Glenn Middle School, 12 McMahon Road, Bedford, MA 01730.  This year’s show chronicles the adventures of a quartet that has become "recently deceased" and the battle between the Supreme Being and the Devil for their allegiance.

    Featured are Boston Accent, 2006 Harmony Inc. Women's Barbershop International Champions, and Average Joes, a rapidly up-and-coming  Northeast District Contender.

    Sounds of Concord is celebrating its 40th anniversary this year.  We continue our primary mission to "Keep the Whole World Singing".

    Tickets are $15 in advance, ($20 at the door), Seniors are $10 and Students are $5.00.  Families are a maximum of $40.00.

    Who We Are

    The Sounds of Concord (SOC) is an auditioned men's a cappella chorus with about 30 active members.  Our members come from 20 cities and towns including Arlington , Lexington , Concord , Bedford , Cambridge , Medford, Waltham, and Somerville. We are a chapter of the Barbershop Harmony Society.  We sing  primarily in the Barbershop style of music, made popular in the era of the early 1900's.  These days, we also sing Doo-Wop, Broadway, Gospel, and even songs by Elton John, the Beach Boys, and Billy Joel.

    SOC is based in Lexington , MA , and we rehearse every week at Temple Emunah , 9 Piper Road .  All men who are good singers and who want to be better singers and who are of good character are encouraged to attend our rehearsals and audition to join our group. Reading music is not required; we provide learning tapes for those who can't.  And we provide low cost voice instruction to our members so they can be better singers.

    Our Primary Mission

    Our primary mission is to "keep the whole world singing" and to teach men young and old about the joys of singing four part harmony.  We encourage and perpetuate the American Musical Art form of Barbershop Harmony.  In order to do that, we reach out to the youth of America by sponsoring events such as the New England Harmony Extreme Camp, held every August.  This year we had over 100 high school boys and girls participate in a weekend of musical education.  We, along with other chapters of our society, support this activity by providing full scholarships to all high school students attending.  We also provide their high school music educators with training at the same time.

    Another charitable activity we provide is free or very low cost singing instruction to men who want to improve their vocal skills.

    Lastly, we provide free or low cost entertainment at local hospitals, assisted living facilities, and nursing homes, and we sing seasonal favorites during the Holiday Season for both the Lexington and Concord Chambers of Commerce.

    Thank you very much,

    Sincerely,
    Lee Daum
    Lee Daum