Tuckermans at 9 has a rare opening!

  • Mark Miller
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 29, 2008
      Dawn, our soprano and a T9 founding member, is moving on to other projects; we will miss her and wish her all the best. And with confirmed gigs coming up in November and December, and February and April 2009 (not to mention a possible Harmony Sweeps debut next spring), T9 has some very big shoes to fill… and fast!

      Do they fit YOUR feet?

      Tuckermans at 9 is NOT a casual, phone-it-in, fall/winter/spring, kicks ‘n giggles singing group; we ARE a semi-professional, contemporary a cappella septet (SAATTBB) that performs up to an average of once a month. (That means some months no gigs, but other months two or possibly more.) T9 rehearses once a week year ‘round in the Dover/Durham, New Hampshire, area, about 50 miles north of Boston. Most gigs are in New Hampshire and southern Maine, with occasional forays into Massachusetts. Bottom-line: we work hard, and have a blast doing it!

      You should be able to “sell” solos, as we all take turns at them, but we’re much more interested in how you blend in tight, contemporary harmony. At the same time, T9 doesn’t just sing – we entertain – so a fun and outgoing attitude is essential (and previous stage or theater experience doesn’t hurt, either!). Vocal percussion and arranging skills are helpful, but not required. To get an idea of what we sound like, visit the T9 Music page on our website.

      We can’t offer you gas money; you must do this mostly for the fun of a cappella. But because we’re semi-pro, after expenses we do pay something whenever possible. And there are never any dues to pay or music to buy. Your only expense is a one-time purchase of a new Shure SM-58 microphone, which is yours to keep forever and ever, amen, should you leave us someday. Speakin’ o’ which, we’re not asking for a lifetime commitment, but we do ask that you make a reasonable investment in us. Also, your age is irrelevant as long as you’re at least 21 and mature enough to hang out, laugh and work hard with a similar-minded bunch of 30- to 50-somethings.

      • Are you able to read and memorize music?
      • Are you willing to learn music between rehearsals?
      • Can you find your starting note from a single pitch pipe note?
      • Do your family, work and/or other performing commitments allow enough time for you to rehearse and perform?
      • Are you willing to help with P.A. equipment load-in/load-out?

      If so – and ya wanna know more – we’d love to meet you! (Notice we didn’t say, “audition”, even though that’s what we mean, cuz we hate ‘em, too.) Contact:

      Mark Miller
      (603) 625-5403 x113 M-F days
      (603) 749-5044 all other times; leave a message
      email voicegod@...

    • Mark Miller
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 12, 2013
        Would you or someone you'd recommend like to join T9? We have a rare opening!

        Singing with semi-pro, contemporary a cappella group Tuckermans at 9, based in the New Hampshire seacoast area, is a lotta work. It's also WAY more fun than most singers can stand. And for the first time in eight years, we're auditioning for a first tenor.

        We're not a "stand and sing" group. We do "shows", not "concerts". But we don't try to be "hip" or "cool", just friendly and fun. While the music always comes first, we work hard to engage and involve our audiences.

        To keep the diva quotient low, we spread the solos around. No, really; this is a big part of our brand. Over and over, we hear how much concertgoers enjoy the variety of our music. Different eras, different styles, different soloists… they all combine for a versatile repertoire.

        Our performance goal is approximately once per month. Singers are paid when possible. And with just a few exceptions, singers are not expected to contribute financially and there are no dues to pay.

        Rehearsals are every Tuesday, year 'round, usually in either Durham or Exeter, but on rare occasions in Dover. We begin promptly at 7pm and work straight through til 9pm. (Tuckermans AT 9… get it?) We find this makes longer rehearsals unnecessary and leaves time for, well, "social" time afterward, usually involving adult beverages. Obviously, absences for illness, occasional work issues, and vacations are permitted, but membership in Tuckermans at 9 is a serious commitment.

        We're looking for a "rock n' roll" tenor who can also blend when not soloing. But even if you're not sure you can rock OR roll, we encourage you to inquire. You might be surprised what you can do!

        Other things we're looking for…

        • Must read music
        • Must be able to work on, learn, and memorize music between rehearsals
        • Must help with equipment load-in/load-out and set-up at shows
        • Vocal percussion, arranging, and theater experience helpful but not required
        • Must be willing to accept solo work

        Interested? Email Mark Miller: mark@... We'll send you the link to our video demo.

        C'mon… you know you want to!