Ontario-Quebec border

    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 27, 2013

      Hi Folks

      I see that the small land portion of the Ontario-Quebec border was completely demarcated with nice, new obelisks. Does anyone (especially Canadians) know why this was done when so many of the other interprovincial borders are not marked. Alberta and BC is marked, but I’ve never been able to find any markers on the SK-AB or AK-MB borders. Anyone with information about why the new markers? I tried doing a mega search for more information but all that came up was the new markers, no story behind it.

      Cheers

      Dallen

    • Doug Murray
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 27, 2013

        This is news to me, but I'll dig around at work (the CBC) and see what I can find out.

        I do know that there are some border markers on SK-MB -- I remember as a child seeing one at a ski hill called Thunder Hill: http://goo.gl/maps/7RMz0 -- but I haven't been back in decades. And I've never seen a photo online. Yet!

        Cheers,

        Doug

        On 13-08-27 6:53 PM, Dallen Timothy wrote:

        Hi Folks

        I see that the small land portion of the Ontario-Quebec border was completely demarcated with nice, new obelisks. Does anyone (especially Canadians) know why this was done when so many of the other interprovincial borders are not marked. Alberta and BC is marked, but I’ve never been able to find any markers on the SK-AB or AK-MB borders. Anyone with information about why the new markers? I tried doing a mega search for more information but all that came up was the new markers, no story behind it.

        Cheers

        Doug Murray
        Writer/Producer
        Documentary: Dead, Buried, Forgotten
        Travel: Recent Stories
        Twitter: @borderfilms
        LinkedIn - My Profile
        Vancouver: +1.604.728.1407
        Halifax: +1.902.982.1812
        Guatemala: +502.5823.8865

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 27, 2013

          Thanks, Doug. Google Image search new Ontario Quebec border markers. They were erected in 2011. They look like the smaller and newer US-Canada obelisks.

          Dallen

            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 27, 2013

              They’re not visible on Google Earth Streetview, so the streetview images were obviously taken before the 2011 erection of the markers.

              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 27, 2013

                Fabulous! Thanks, Doug. I’m surprised I wasn’t able to find this before. Any other articles about it? If you find more, please send them on.

                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 27, 2013

                  Here are some photos of MB-SK markers:

                  The quad-point of MB-SK-NT-NU: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_corners_%28Canada%29

                  Some shots of MB-ND-SK including a MB-SK marker (!): http://www.bjbsoftware.com/corners/pointdetail.php3?point=151