new book on Baarle-Hertog in World War One.

  • Brendan Whyte
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 21, 2013
      Dear border-pointers,

      As part of my 2004 PhD work on Baarle-Nassau/Baarle-Hertog, I utilised the privately-published memoirs of Lt. Paul Goldschmidt, who set up a clandestine radio station in the enclaves in 1915.

      I have now completed a translation of the memoirs into English, and with the assistance of his decendants and the Baarle historical society ('Amalia van Solms'), it includes over 100 period photos, several maps, an overview of Baarle's history and geography, a biography of Goldschmidt, a history of the devleopment of radio to 1920, and an explanation of how the spark-gap transmitters of the time worked.

      "Listening to Ludendorff: A Clandestine Belgian Military Wireless Station Behind German Lines 1915-1919"
      By Paul Goldschmidt, Translated/edited by Brendan Whyte

      Paperback, 188 pages, 170 mm x 245 mm, 342 g, ISBN 13: 9781908336712
      Reveille Press, an imprint of Tommies Guides, Eastbourne (UK).

      RRP GBP14.99 in British bookshops,

      but with discount GBP12.74/ US$18.97 / Euro 14.74 from Book Depository

      http://www.bookdepository.com/Listening-Ludendorff-Paul-Goldschmidt/9781908336712

       GBP 13.50 on Amazon.co.uk

      http://www.amazon.co.uk/Listening-Ludendorff-Clandestine-Military-1915-1919/dp/1908336714/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1374458983&sr=8-1&keywords=listening+to+ludendorff

      also available on Amazon.co.jp; and should be on Amazon.com soon

      Please let me have any feedback, positive or negative!

      Thanks, and enjoy!

      Brendan Whyte

    • strangemaps
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 23, 2013
        Hi Brendan,

        A subject close to my heart, both as a cartophile and a Belgian. I've ordered it sans hesitation, and with beaucoup anticipation. I will let you know what I think of it, but I already love the subject matter!

        Cheers,

        Frank

        --
        Frank Jacobs