Exclaves of the Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina

  • George Washington
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 26, 2013
    As a member from the Balkans, I would like to point out about domestic exclaves in Bosnia & Herzegovina. As you know, BiH is divided into 2 entities (Federation and the Republic of Srpska) and the District of Brčko which is officially a condominium. The boundary between the entities is called IEBL (Inter-Entity Boundary Line).

    Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina has 2 inhabited exclaves (one consists of the municipality of Odžak, while the other one consist of two municipalities: Orašje and Domaljevac). There are also 2 uninhabited semi-exclaves of FBiH surrounded by Brčko district. I said semi-exclaves because Brčko is also a condominium. Those 2 uninhabited exclaves are very small and there is even a possibility that they are on a mine field. Ordinary maps don't show them. We could also say that Orašje-Domaljevac is a semi-exclave, since it borders the District of Brčko.

    The exclave of Odžak. borders Croatia to the north, and the Republic of Srpska to the south.
    I visited the town of Šamac, which is a Serb populated town in the Republic of Srpska and the village of Prud, which is Croat populated village in the Federation (exclave of Odžak)
    Šamac and Prud are separated by the river of Bosna, which is where the IEBL goes. The bridge that divides the entities is a one-way bridge, so the traffic is monitored by a traffic light. There are no official markings when you enter one of the entities at that bridge (apart from the Srpska flag), although one can see large number of Srpska flags in the Srpska entity and the Croatian flags in that part of the Federation. In the village of Prud, only Latin script is used and the post office is a HP Mostar (Croatian Bosnian postal operator), while in Šamac, there is a larger use of the Serbian Cyrillic script and the Srpska Post Offices.

    I also posted the map of the 2 exclaves. The town of Šamac is not shown since it is in Srpska, although it is located between the 2 exclaves, on the part of Srpska which borders Croatia.

    Cheers,
    Alex
    Belgrade, Serbia
  • jnibert
    Message 2 of 2 , Apr 1, 2013
      Thank you, Alex.

      If you are able, would you please point out on the photo of the mine
      fields where the two small semi-exclaves might be located?

      Jeff

      --- In borderpoint@yahoogroups.com, George Washington <kubana2005@...>