Re: Historic enclaves and exclaves

  • jnibert
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 30, 2013
      Alex,

      I realize this is a long time after your original post, and perhaps you aleady captured this.

      To this list can be added the enclaves of Cooch Behar (now part of the Indian state of West Bengal) that had been in the Indian state of Jalpaiguri until the mid-1950s. There were about 35 of them that became "extinct" at that time, when they were made part of Jalpaiguri.

      From 1947 to 1949, the status of Cooch Behar was unclear, for even though it was no longer a British dependency, it did not assimilate as part of India until 1949. So these were international enclaves during that period. After 1949, they were subnational until their extinction.

      Of course the 198 current international exclaves of India (106) and Bangladesh(92) (comprised of 217 chhits, 122 and 95, respectively) had their origin with Cooch Behar as well. These will surely become extinct in this century as pressure continues to mount to remove the border complications that give rise to deplorable living conditions for their inhabitants.

      The source for information about this topic is the thesis by Brendan Whyte (2002), University of Melbourne, available online. It contains exact details.

      Jeff Nibert