British Sovereign Bases

    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 28, 2012

      Len or anyone else, do you know about the postal system on the British Sovereign Bases of Cyprus? Are there post offices in either sector, and what stamps to they use?

      Thanks

      Dallen

    • lnadybal@philatelic.info
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 28, 2012
        Hi, Dallen,

        The UK Forces in Akrotiri, etc., have available the British Forces Post
        Office Service (BFPO), which exchanges local bi-lateral [international]
        mail with the Cypriot post offices and for other countries through the
        central base post office in the UK which interfaces with the British
        civilian system. They use regular British stamps, but have special
        discount tariffs that apply. (Used to be 2p for 20g letter from BFPO to
        local host nation civilian addresses aas well as addresses at other forces'
        POs. It may still be 2p, because it wasn't intended to cover costs, it was
        only intended to be a beeny for soldiers and at least get a stamp affixed,
        so that when the forces turned the mail over to the host without postage
        due markings, the host would consider it fully paid. Because of this,
        reciprocity comes into play - 20g letter mail from civilian Cyprus to the
        bases is fully paid at Cyprus domestic rates - postage normally applicable
        to the UK need not be applied. I'm not sure what rate applies from
        Turkish Cyprus to the base addresses - Turkey is in NATO, and domestic
        rates apply between Turkey and Turkish Cyprus (in fact, turkish Cyprus
        stamps are valid in Turkey).

        British forces members may also take advantage of the military postal
        services of the other sending states that participate in the UN mission as
        well as the Greek-Cypriot civilian service. Theoretically, a British
        forces member could also cross the lines and mail from the Turkish-Cypriot
        POs. Inbound mail to the bases (with destination BFPO addresses on them,
        in contrast to a civilian "open" street address) would only be delivered by
        the BFPO (through a PO box of a soldier's supporting mail room). It's
        always remained unclear to me how mail would get handled that is addressed
        from a country to Cyprus but at a quarters address (i.e., a building number
        on a named street) that is inside a base.

        On bases in Germany, Italy, etc., mail addressed like that gets delivered
        by the host country's postman, except on "closed" bases, where arrangements
        have been made for the local post office to give the mail to the base post
        office or mail room for distribution. Registered mail is an issue in this
        mix - in some countries R-letter service is equal to US certified, and can
        be turned over to a base PO for obtaining a signature. UK R-letter service
        is like the US registered service, and local post offices may not give them
        up to military offices.... they can only leave notices for the recipient to
        come to the local PO and pick them up and sign form them. Cyprus' R-letter
        service was niitially designed by the British, but I've not kept abreast of
        how that may have loosened that up in Cyprus after independence to where
        may now be nothing more than what we call "certified mail". The difference
        in Cyprus is that the bases are sovereign UK, and the "local postman" would
        have to leave Cypriot territory to deliver such mail. In countries where
        the post office is governmental, that's an issue. In countries where the
        post offices have been privatized, cross border deliveries by a company
        employee (as opposed to a government official) isn't a problem (see example
        of Swiss Post International, a private sector, for profit division of the
        governmental Swiss post office that originates mail outside of Switzerland
        and delivers to third countries by routing through Switzerland to get into
        the international mailstream). I bring that up, becaue I'm not certain
        about the current status of the Cypriot postal system (comm'l or Govt??).

        At times, since the Turkish invasion of Cyprus, there have been up to 8
        postal systems simultaneously operating on the island. I have some
        presentation cars I got from dignitaries years ago, with, I think, if I
        recall correctly, 6 stamps of six administration, each cancelled with the
        proper postmark of its own service. Getting the Danish stamp postmarked
        was an issue for the preparers, because under danish law, the stamps
        affixed on Cyprus could only be postmarked upon arrival in Denmark, and
        then forwarded - but for these cards, the Danish government allowed an
        exception. I can scan one for you and send you an image if you are
        curious. Among the stamps is a British one with a sovereign base postmark
        (BFPO + number, whatever it was).

        Long answer to a short question - but I hope the ancillary material is of
        interest, nevertheless.

        Happy New Year to you and yours.

        Regards

        Len Nadybal

        http://www.doteasy.com

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 28, 2012

          Hi Len

          Thank you for the erudite answer, and yes, the ancillary material is very interesting and useful. I would love to have you scan the cards and send…would love to see the different stamps with different postmarks.

          Looking forward to seeing the scans.

          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 28, 2012
            Just one point.  British field post offices will only have a frank on the stamp saying, "FIELD POST OFFICE" so nobody knows where the item was sent.

            To: borderpoint@yahoogroups.com