Historic exclave in Berlin / Eiskeller

  • beeblebrox3003
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 15, 2012
      I visited the most strange boundary in the history of West Berlin and the last East German exclave in West Berlin until 1988.

      Sorry, in german tone only.

      The last East German exclave:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3LlauLTcn4

      Maps of the strange borderline und the exclave:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nNJADKYflE

      Exclaves Eiskeller North and South:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqUmWpz0eqk
    • Len Nadybal
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 15, 2012
      It's interesting to see how grown over that area has become. I have
      photos of it from pre-exchange days when I toured the area as a member
      of the US Forces - it was nicely groomed farmland then. I recall
      jumping over the narrow strips of DDR just for the fun of it.
      I disargee that the little triangle exclave was the last DDR exclave in
      Berlin - below, I have pasted notes I have in my files about other areas
      - one - Tiefwerderwiesen - is still today, to the best of my knowledge,
      not part of Berlin city - but an exclaved of Seeburg - which used to be
      in the DDR (or most was, until some weird border rectifications were
      made between the British and the Russians at Staaken, which involved
      people from Seeburg..

      Regards

      Len Nadybal
      Washington DC

      1. Tiefwerderwiesen -
      former DDR exclave in W. Berlin (See photo - "DDR exclave")

      Commentary to the map. The grey portion is from the Flurkarte in the
      Spandau city hall Vermessungsamt - greyed to make the faint line of the
      original
      as visible as possible. The area noted as "Enklave zu Seeburg" (Plots
      375 and 376 / 31) correspond to the area noted in the
      color map inset as "Tiefwerderwiesen" in block 6b.

      There are two other enclaves noted in the grey Flurkarte, both marked as
      "Enklave zu Tiefwerder". Tiefwerder is SW
      of Spandau, and prior to occupation of W. Berlin by the western allies,
      was not part of the Berlin city lands. Seeburg, on
      the other hand, is a town west of Spandau, in East German territory.
      It's situation made the "Enklave zu Seeburg" an
      international exclave whereas the two "Enklaves zu Tiefwerder" were
      communal level enclaves until Tiefwerder was made
      a suburb within W. Berlin city. Parts of Seeburg were involved in a
      trade between the British and Russians.

      This Flurkarte stems from the time of the trade of the East German plots
      to the west - hence the crossing out of the Enclave
      notation and the substitution of the abbreviation "Grdb. Bez. Seeburg"
      and the earlier private property plot numbers from
      the pre-war Grundbuch of Seeburg, to replace the status of the property
      from being private plots to territory belonging to the DDR state
      (which was not fully recognized as a sovereign state by the Western
      Allies or the Federal Republic at the time the trades of other territory
      occurred).

      Other notes on other related peculiarities:

      2. Antenna - Russian Exclave Landkreis Niederbarnim DDR - See photo
      "Zehlendorf..." (I know - outside of Berlin, but interesting nevertheless)
      RE: Radio: The Radio Station Building "Haus des Rundfunks"located in
      British sector, occupied by the Soviets and handed over toEast German Radio
      operators (Berliner Rundfunk). After the East German occupation of
      Steinstuecken in 1951, the British began to deny Sovietrights over that
      building. British
      MP cordoned off the building,allowed everybody to leave but nobody
      (German) to enter.Berliner Rundfunk then continued to operate from
      East-Berlin
      but thebuilding stayed under Soviet occupation until 1956 when it was
      handedover to the West

      3. Russian War Memorial in W Berlin also lasted until after
      unification as piece of Russian Zone in British sector. Russians handed
      it over to Fed Rep Germany (Berliner Landesregierung)..
      on Dec 22, 1990.
      That wasn't a DDR enclave ever, so doesn't count as last DDR enclave
      like the one at Eiskeller, but it appears to be the last Russian one.

      beeblebrox3003 wrote:
      > I visited the most strange boundary in the history of West Berlin and the last East German exclave in West Berlin until 1988.
      >

      > Sorry, in german tone only.
      >
      > The last East German exclave:
      > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3LlauLTcn4
      >
      > Maps of the strange borderline und the exclave:
      > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nNJADKYflE
      >

      > Exclaves Eiskeller North and South:
      > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqUmWpz0eqk

      > Unlimited Disk, Data Transfer, PHP/MySQL Domain Hosting
      > http://www.doteasy.com

    • strangemaps
      Message 3 of 3 , Dec 2, 2012
        Ein bisschen spaet, aber jedoch: vielen Dank!

        MfG,

        Frank

        --
        Frank Jacobs