RE: [borderpoint] Spain-Gibraltar

    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 24, 2012

      I read somewhere that it had been disbanded quite a number of years ago, but I can’t find the source right now.

      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 24, 2012

        I also remember reading that the neutral zone was only for Spain’s sake…wasn’t a neutral zone for Gibraltar/UK at all, so even if it still exists, it would be effectively treated as Spanish territory.

        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 24, 2012
          So it seems like it was just absorbed into Spain then. Is the old northern border of the neutral zone still visible anywhere there?

          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 24, 2012
          If I recall correctly from many years ago, I read that the Spanish border control was beyond the neutral zone. Today, however, the Spanish border and military infrastructure is located directly up against the border. The neutral zone is still visible in the landscape. It is primarily used for recreation (kiddie parks) and trails/boardwalks, empty grassy areas, and large car parking lots. It also hosts Spanish customs and passport offices. See the attached photos of the neutral zone as it is today.

          1) The border fence is just beyond the cars. The palm trees are in Gibraltar.
          2) The west end of the border fence with some of the neutral zone in the foreground.
          3) Family play park in the old neutral zone
          4) Recreational boardwalk and trails in the old neutral zone
        • Peter Smaardijk
          Message 5 of 11 , Sep 24, 2012
            See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disputed_status_of_the_isthmus_between_Gibraltar_and_Spain

            Peter

            Message 6 of 11 , Sep 25, 2012

              Thanks for the link, Peter. Just as I thought, the ‘neutral zone’ is sort of an historical idea that has all but completely eroded away. While it might still exist on old paper, it doesn’t exist in practice any longer.

              Incidentally, unlike the article suggests, Spain does refer to it as ‘Frontera’, not just la linea.

              DJT