Spain-Gibraltar

    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 24, 2012

    I was in Gibraltar and Spain last week and took quite a few pictures of the border. Attached are three of them.

    1)      The east end of the border from the Spanish side.

    2)      The border is between the two pillars. The large one on the right is Gibraltar, small solid white one on the left is Spain.

    3)      Looking from Spain into Gibraltar…the metal drain grate is located right on the border.

    These and others will eventually get posted on my borders site.

    Message 2 of 11 , Sep 24, 2012
      Isn't there a "neutral zone" between Spain and Gibraltar, meaning that technically, the two countries* don't share a common border?

      Message 3 of 11 , Sep 24, 2012
        No, there isn't a neutral zone any longer.

        Message 4 of 11 , Sep 24, 2012
          How was that divided / settled?

          Message 5 of 11 , Sep 24, 2012

            I’m not sure when it was settled. Neutral zones are a thing of the past in general terms. I have some old information on it…I’ll see what I can find.

            Message 6 of 11 , Sep 24, 2012

              I read somewhere that it had been disbanded quite a number of years ago, but I can’t find the source right now.

              Message 7 of 11 , Sep 24, 2012

                I also remember reading that the neutral zone was only for Spain’s sake…wasn’t a neutral zone for Gibraltar/UK at all, so even if it still exists, it would be effectively treated as Spanish territory.

                Message 8 of 11 , Sep 24, 2012
                  So it seems like it was just absorbed into Spain then. Is the old northern border of the neutral zone still visible anywhere there?

                  Message 9 of 11 , Sep 24, 2012
                  If I recall correctly from many years ago, I read that the Spanish border control was beyond the neutral zone. Today, however, the Spanish border and military infrastructure is located directly up against the border. The neutral zone is still visible in the landscape. It is primarily used for recreation (kiddie parks) and trails/boardwalks, empty grassy areas, and large car parking lots. It also hosts Spanish customs and passport offices. See the attached photos of the neutral zone as it is today.

                  1) The border fence is just beyond the cars. The palm trees are in Gibraltar.
                  2) The west end of the border fence with some of the neutral zone in the foreground.
                  3) Family play park in the old neutral zone
                  4) Recreational boardwalk and trails in the old neutral zone
                • Peter Smaardijk
                  Message 10 of 11 , Sep 24, 2012
                    See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disputed_status_of_the_isthmus_between_Gibraltar_and_Spain

                    Peter

                    Message 11 of 11 , Sep 25, 2012

                      Thanks for the link, Peter. Just as I thought, the ‘neutral zone’ is sort of an historical idea that has all but completely eroded away. While it might still exist on old paper, it doesn’t exist in practice any longer.

                      Incidentally, unlike the article suggests, Spain does refer to it as ‘Frontera’, not just la linea.

                      DJT