Andorra-France

    Message 1 of 6 , May 31, 2012

    Hi Folks

    I’m writing an article on border changes and tourism and will be using the 2001 Andorra-France border exchange at Pas de la Casa as an example. In the process of doing this, I have produced the attached map to be published with the article. Incidentally, it’s not quite finished, as I’m fine-tuning it still. Nevertheless, it’s a start. Also please DO NOT upload it onto the internet. It is only for this group’s eyes at this point in time; it will be published soon. The map is based on four sources: 1) the semi-official treaty map that is floating around; 2) the descriptions of the border change in the treaty documents; 3) Google Earth; and 4) my own investigations there on the ground in January 2012.

    A couple of points to make:

    1)      I’m almost 100% certain the roundabout is completely in France. The border is located where the new viaduct road connects to the west edge of the roundabout. See the attached pictures.

    2)      The news reports in France suggested that locals from the commune of Porta were unhappy about the exchange for several reasons. One was that they would have to go through Andorran territory (ie the roundabout) to reach the other part of their land around highway N22 and that the area south of the roundabout and the border would thus be a pene-exclave. I don’t believe this is the case.

    Reasons for my conclusion:

    1)      Regarding the land exchange, French Bill #260 says: “The connection of the viaduct, mentioned in Article 1, paragraph 2, the RN 22 road by a roundabout located in French territory is funded by the Party of Andorra”. So, this document (and another one, which I can’t find right now) says that the roundabout is on French soil, but it was paid for by Andorra.

    2)      In the first photo, the red, white and orange pole are the colors of Andorra and likely mark the border. They parallel the change of pavement on the left. The green, red and white poles are snow poles. The road signs just beyond the roundabout are Andorran signs with red all the way to the edge. The signs on the roundabout are French road signs with a white trim between the red and the edge of the sign. The three signs near the line are in Catalan because they are in Andorra.

    3)      Second photo, another view of the roundabout, looking from Andorra into France. Note the Andorra pole to the right of the road as well, and the French yield sign right about on the borderline.

    4)      Third photo, another shot of the same area. This French sign seems to be in Andorra about a meter or so. All the other signs on the roundabout are French; there is a different pavement; and the signs are all in French only. On the Andorran part, the signs are in Catalan up to the roundabout.