Cooch Behar enclaves

  • Brendan Whyte
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 23, 2012
      An article from Saturday's Sydney Morning Herald on the Cooch Behar enclaves

      http://www.smh.com.au/world/villages-stranded-in-foreign-land-caught-on-wrong-side-of-history-20120422-1xf1o.html

      Brendan
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 23, 2012
        And an article by Ken Jennings in Conde Nast Traveler about Cooch Behar as well!

        http://www.cntraveler.com/daily-traveler/2012/04/jeopardy-champ-ken-jennings-finds-bizarre-border-india-bangladesh

        (Yes, *that* Ken Jennings. Not just the guy who won 74 games of Jeopardy! in a row, but also a ginormous map nerd. He's taken to writing a regular column for Conde Nast Traveler about geography and travel, so check out some of his other stuff for stuff that you'd probably like.

        The KJ articles on CNT are in my bookmarks folder along with Frank Jacobs' blog and his NYT articles, which are much the same thing, and should appeal to us, his NYT articles especially seem to deal with borders more often than not, and he's a very good writer. I think I've shared both his blog's URL and the URL for his New York Times articles on the list before, but if not let me know and I'll do it again.

        Watch, now the next Frank Jacobs article will be about Cooch Behar too, taht'll be REALLY spooky!)

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 23, 2012
          Seems that Frank Jacobs already wrote about Cooch Behar. Phew!

          http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/11/14/an-apology-of-enclaves/

          On 04/24/2012, at 12:01 AM, David Kendall wrote:

          > And an article by Ken Jennings in Conde Nast Traveler about Cooch Behar as well!
          >
          > http://www.cntraveler.com/daily-traveler/2012/04/jeopardy-champ-ken-jennings-finds-bizarre-border-india-bangladesh
          >
          > (Yes, *that* Ken Jennings. Not just the guy who won 74 games of Jeopardy! in a row, but also a ginormous map nerd. He's taken to writing a regular column for Conde Nast Traveler about geography and travel, so check out some of his other stuff for stuff that you'd probably like.
          >
          > The KJ articles on CNT are in my bookmarks folder along with Frank Jacobs' blog and his NYT articles, which are much the same thing, and should appeal to us, his NYT articles especially seem to deal with borders more often than not, and he's a very good writer. I think I've shared both his blog's URL and the URL for his New York Times articles on the list before, but if not let me know and I'll do it again.
          >
          > Watch, now the next Frank Jacobs article will be about Cooch Behar too, taht'll be REALLY spooky!)
          >
          > On 04/23/2012, at 9:06 PM, Brendan Whyte wrote:
          >

          >> An article from Saturday's Sydney Morning Herald on the Cooch Behar enclaves
          >>

          >> http://www.smh.com.au/world/villages-stranded-in-foreign-land-caught-on-wrong-side-of-history-20120422-1xf1o.html
          >>

          >> Brendan

        • Brendan Whyte
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 19, 2013
            The Cooch Behar enclaves are back in the news, with a ocnstitutional amendment to enable their exchange currently before India's parliament.

            See 14 photos, (#2 shows an enclave boundary pillar) at

            http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/world/gallery-e6frg6so-1226700300295?page=1

            There's a link to the story (page 11 of today's paper edition), but you need a subscription to view it...

            Brendan