Omani exclaves in UAE

  • Hugh Wallis
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 6, 2012
      Week after next I shall be at a conference in Abu Dhabi and will have 3 days after the conference to tour around.

      I thought I would rent a car and am considering visiting various places including the Omani exclave of Wadi Madha and the associated UAE counter-enclave of Nahwa. Also there is the disjoint part of Oman - the Musandam peninsula.

      Does anyone have experience of logistics visitng these places. All my research suggests that visa issues for UK passport holders are not a problem when travelling between UAE and Oman but it is not clear whether there are border crossing issues at all for Wadi Madha/Nahwa.

      Any advice would be welcomed

      Cheers

      Hugh
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 6, 2012

        Hugh, you’ll love it. The roads are good in UAE and Oman. Here was my experience from 2009:

        1)      To cross the border from UAE to Musandam on the west coast there is a full customs and passport control inspection, and you’ll need an Omani visa, which is obtainable at the border.

        2)      To cross the border from UAE to Musandam on the east coast, there is an inspection area, but passports were not inspected, and a visa was not necessary. Like is probably because most crossers don’t go beyond Diba. The border markers and barbed wire fence at Diba are very interesting. You can see my pix and video of this on my borders site.

        3)      There are no border crossing issues/procedures at all between the exclaves/counter-exclaves and their host states.

        4)      One area we didn’t have time to get to was the UAE/Oman condominium at Hatta. Other than the exclaves, I think this would be the most interesting part of the trip. The Sharjah-Oman road east of Madam cuts through the northwesternmost piece of Oman, but I don’t think there are any border controls where it enters Oman or exits. On the east end of the trans-territory road, it enters the UAE-Oman condominium. As far as I can interpret the road thus goes from UAE proper, through Oman, then enters the Oman-UAE condominium. Then continuing east, it enters Hatta, which is in UAE proper.

        Correct me if I’m wrong, anyone, but I think the condominium is basically under the control of the UAE.

        Hugh, it would be interesting for you to investigate the condominium and its status. Google Earth appears to show the typical barbed-wire fence around the Oman territory proper, so you’ll probably go through it to get to the condominium. If you have time, talk to some people there to see how effectively it functions as a condominium and see what kinds of signage or border markers there are.

        Cheers

        Dallen

          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 6, 2012

            Hi Hugh and Peter

            I’m going to past this map below…hopefully it comes through ok, and doesn’t jam up anyone’s emails.

            This map (available on Google…don’t know original source) clearly shows the joint administration of the area just west of Hatta. I have in the past also seen other maps with the condominium status but can’t find them right now. I’ve also read here and there about its joint status, and Wikipedia (although not an always-to-be-trusted source) mentions it as well under its Condominium (International Law) page.

            I haven’t done an exhaustive search for info about it, but I do remember knowing about this one for  a number of years.

            Cheers

            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 6, 2012
              Ah thanks Peter - great to get some local knowledge. So do you know if, as a non-resident, I will need to formally get an exit stamp and then a re-entry stamp (and, presumably a new visa purchase!!) if I take this route to Hatta?

              Wadi Bih looks really interesting but I suspect that as a non-resident I might be asking for trouble trying that route back to RAK, even with a (rented!!) 4x4

              On 6 March 2012 12:49, P von Werden <vonwerden@...> wrote:

              Year after year, the UAE checkpoints behind Al Madam and before Masfout have become more elaborate. When I passed on Thursday they had changed the makeshift checkpoint to a more proper checkpoint with a huge roof (haven't been there in 6 months). Not that they are searching the cars, normally it is sufficient to show a passport for the fraction of a second and off you go. Sometimes they will ask you where you are going (don't be inventive!). However, the speed bumps are slowing down traffic significantly.

              Demarcation can be seen clearly. The border fence and the huge white border markers make it close to impossible not to see it.

              Remembering the good old pre-2009 times when you simply crossed into Oman and back into UAE at a speed of 120 km/h and there was no border fence...

              Exiting UAE on the east coast in 2011 was as easy as described by Dallen. There are quite a few people who do the very scenic offroad trip through Wadi Bih back to Ras Al Khaimah on weekends. Until 2008 it was possible to do this trip in both directions but nowadays it only seems to be open from east to west. There is only one Omani checkpoint next to a small military base about 10 km before reaching UAE's RAK checkpoint. There was some rumour that only GCC residents can cross (can't confirm as I have residence here). Note that if you want to do the Wadi Bih trip, a 4x4 is definitely recommended. Other than that, when crossing into Oman behind Hatta, Khorfakkan or through RAK/Khassab, your will need to have an approval from your car rental provider.

              @Dallen - I was not aware this was a UAE-Oman condominium and thought it was part of Ajman. Interesting indeed and I will try to check next time I get there!

              Regards
              Peter