BEFRLU Tripoint Visit 2011

  • Barry Arnold
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 15, 2011
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/barry_432/sets/72157627554621489/with/6150759443/

      Collection photos from my tripoint visit in July

      Barry
    • Matthias Leube
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 17, 2011
        I often wondered why some tripoints are "hot" tourist destinations, like BEDENL, and others - like BEFRLU - are abandoned and nobody cares about them.

        Matthias

        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 17, 2011
          In this case, is there a significance difference in proximity to population centers and/or main highways?

          Sent: Saturday, September 17, 2011 9:42 AM
          Subject: Re: [borderpoint] BEFRLU Tripoint Visit 2011

          I often wondered why some tripoints are "hot" tourist destinations, like BEDENL, and others - like BEFRLU - are abandoned and nobody cares about them.

          Matthias
        • Sebas
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 17, 2011
            Hi,

            Maybe it is because the fact that The Netherlands only have one tripoint. Actually it it/was the highest point of The Netherlands what also attracts people. The main tourist infrastructure is located at the dutch side.

            To see that there is no interest from the german side, there is in fact no road from Germany to the tripoint, if germans would visit it they have to drive via Belgium of the Netherlands.

            Sebastian

            Sent: Saturday, September 17, 2011 9:42 AM

            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 17, 2011
              Land (dry) tripoints are easier to mark and become a focus - even in Schlengen with its proximity to France and Germany there was little to show the (wet) tripoint.

              To: borderpoint@yahoogroups.com
              From: lgm@...
              Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2011 10:04:24 -0500

              In this case, is there a significance difference in proximity to population centers and/or main highways?

              Sent: Saturday, September 17, 2011 9:42 AM

              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 17, 2011
                E.g. BEDELU, CHDEFR and CZDEPL are also wet, but there are signs, flags etc. Why is BEFRLU particularly so neglected?

                Matthias

                To: borderpoint@yahoogroups.com
                From: lgm@...
                Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2011 10:04:24 -0500

                In this case, is there a significance difference in proximity to population centers and/or main highways?

                Sent: Saturday, September 17, 2011 9:42 AM

                I often wondered why some tripoints are "hot" tourist destinations, like BEDENL, and others - like BEFRLU - are abandoned and nobody cares about them.

                Matthias

              • Goyta' F. Villela Jr.
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 17, 2011
                  > E.g. BEDELU, CHDEFR and CZDEPL are also wet, but there are signs,
                  > flags etc. Why is BEFRLU particularly so neglected?

                  ARBRPY is wet, too, but it has three monuments, one in each country. I believe BOBRPE (also wet) has three monuments as well (the adjacent Bolivian town is called Bolpebra - guess why...). I think there is no marker on ARBRUY because of the Ilha Brasileira/Isla Brasilera dispute. Satellite pics show nothing at BRCOPE at Tabatinga/Letícia/Santa Rosa (also wet, though BRCO is dry). There is a Brazilian military garrison at Cucuí, right on BRCOVE, but I think there is a monument only on the Brazilian side. There is a border monument on top of Mount Roraima marking BRGYVE (but Venezuelans have removed the Guyana plate because of their claim to Guayana Esequiba). The other Brazilian tripoints are inaccessible (and BRGYVE is only barely accessible: it requires some hard trekking from the Venezuelan side to the top of the 2,800-m mountain - a bit harder and higher than Vaalserberg...).

                  Regards,

                  Goytá
                • Barry Arnold
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 18, 2011
                    The park at BEDELU I believe was financed through public subscriptions - there were some grand plans to build a circular bridge at CZDEPL - without doubt BEFRLU was the most neglected of any I have been to. BEDELU and BYLTLV are currently my favorite two.

                    > To: borderpoint@yahoogroups.com
                    > From: goytabr@...
                    > Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2011 19:51:14 -0300
                    > Subject: Re: [borderpoint] BEFRLU Tripoint Visit 2011
                    >
                    > > E.g. BEDELU, CHDEFR and CZDEPL are also wet, but there are signs,
                    > > flags etc. Why is BEFRLU particularly so neglected?
                    >
                    > ARBRPY is wet, too, but it has three monuments, one in each country. I believe BOBRPE (also wet) has three monuments as well (the adjacent Bolivian town is called Bolpebra - guess why...). I think there is no marker on ARBRUY because of the Ilha Brasileira/Isla Brasilera dispute. Satellite pics show nothing at BRCOPE at Tabatinga/Letícia/Santa Rosa (also wet, though BRCO is dry). There is a Brazilian military garrison at Cucuí, right on BRCOVE, but I think there is a monument only on the Brazilian side. There is a border monument on top of Mount Roraima marking BRGYVE (but Venezuelans have removed the Guyana plate because of their claim to Guayana Esequiba). The other Brazilian tripoints are inaccessible (and BRGYVE is only barely accessible: it requires some hard trekking from the Venezuelan side to the top of the 2,800-m mountain - a bit harder and higher than Vaalserberg...).
                    >
                    > Regards,
                    >
                    > Goytá

                    > <*> Your email settings:
                    > Individual Email | Traditional
                    >
                    > <*> To change settings online go to:
                    > (Yahoo! ID required)
                    >
                    > <*> To change settings via email:
                    > borderpoint-digest@yahoogroups.com
                    > borderpoint-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                    > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  • Eef Berns
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 23, 2011

                      Isn’t that just the charm of it: forgotten, desolated, taking efforts to reach it?

                      But the Luxembourg marker was once almost buried. Jos Goergen – from Luxembourg – did a great job by organizing its undigging and restauration. See:

                      http://www.grenspalen.com/belux-index.html

                      met vriendelijke groet,

                      Eef Berns

                      www.grpdesbf.nl - the bordermarkers of the Pyrenees

                      www.grenspalen.nl - de grenspalen van Nederland

                    • Barry Arnold
                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 25, 2011
                        You might be right. Jos did do a fantastic job. Foir me it was the contrast from BEDELU to BEFRLU that was so great - its a shame as it could easily be made into a small park given its not being used.

                        To: borderpoint@yahoogroups.com
                        CC: deeleman@...; gojo@...