Re: [borderpoint] co-ve Wet? or Dry?

  • Peter Smaardijk
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 21, 2011
    See http://www.persee.fr/web/revues/home/prescript/article/afdi_0066-3085_1989_num_35_1_2887 (illustration from this publication I send as attachment).

    So because of the "costa seca" principle, the border follows the waterline here. Whether that is the low water line (which I suspect it is) or something else, I don't know.

    Peter

    Message 2 of 7 , Jul 21, 2011
      Peter,

      Thanks for the quick info and attachment.

      I see that this boundary is discussed (en Francais) on pages 27-29 of
      the publication which you linked; hopefully that will shed even more
      light upon this boundary.

      Aloha.

      wrote:

      > See
      http://www.persee.fr/web/revues/home/prescript/article/afdi_0066-3085_19\
      89_num_35_1_2887Â (illustration from this publication I send as
      attachment).
      > So because of the "costa seca" principle, the border follows the
      waterline here. Whether that is the low water line (which I suspect it
      is) or something else, I don't know.
      > Peter

      Colombia-Venezuela boundary approaches (or enters) the Laguna de
      Cocinetas, as it roughly follows the shoreline of the Laguna de
      Cocinetas toward the Golfo de Venezuela, can one walk on the Venezuelan
      side of the border on dry ground all the way around?
      > On Bing maps, it appears so. On Google Earth, it seems not. Does
      anyone know which is more accurate?

    • george
      Message 3 of 7 , Jul 22, 2011

        Yes, as you stated, footnote 61 specifies "costa seca" from Hito de Calaveras to Hito de Cocinetas.

        Does anyone have personal knowledge about the current practical application of this "Costa Seca" principle as the boundary between Colombia and Venezuela along this long portion of the Laguna de Cocinetas?

        The Wikipedia article Costa Seca (en espanol) just alludes to problems

        A nivel mundial existen conflictos por estados que reclaman que otros países tengan costa seca, un ejemplo es Venezuela, quien pretende que Colombia no poseea derecho alguno sobre la aguas del Golfo de Venezuela, ricas en hidrocarburos....

        With the tensions having been high for years now between the Chavez administration and the Colombian authorities, have there been incidents along this waterfront?

        Is it forbidden to go into the Venezuelan waters from the Colombian beach?

        Does the boundary change continuously with the tides and waves?

        Message 4 of 7 , Jul 22, 2011
          I've never studied the concept of "costa seca" [dry coast], but it sounds very much like what the rest of us would call the high-tide line--the landward limit of the wave-swept beach.