"Long" versus "Tall"

  • geoh88
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 23 11:00 AM

      John Mayson wrote:

      > I am 6' 5" (195 cm) tall. I spent part of the year in Malaysia where I

      > frequently heard I was "long" and not "tall". The first few times, of
      > course, I cracked the obvious joke. Then I figured out that's just the
      > term they use.

      Just as a comment on the constant evolution of language,

      it has become very rare for announcers and commentators on broadcasts of basketball games, both college and NBA, to refer to players as "tall". They almost always say "long", which I suppose is to emphasize the length of the arms, as well as the height.

      Maybe "long" will gradually replace "tall" in everyday speech!

      George

    • Peter Tuffley
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 10, 2011

        In Japanese what in English is called "body height" is "body length" (身長)

        FWIW

        Peter

        John Mayson wrote:

        > I am 6' 5" (195 cm) tall. I spent part of the year in Malaysia where I
        > frequently heard I was "long" and not "tall". The first few times, of
        > course, I cracked the obvious joke. Then I figured out that's just the
        > term they use.

        Just as a comment on the constant evolution of language,

        it has become very rare for announcers and commentators on broadcasts of basketball games, both college and NBA, to refer to players as "tall". They almost always say "long", which I suppose is to emphasize the length of the arms, as well as the height.

        Maybe "long" will gradually replace "tall" in everyday speech!

        George

        Peter Tuffley MA, MNZSTI (Trans)
        Secretary, Canterbury Branch
        NZ Society of Translators and Interpreters
        114 Birdwood Avenue, Christchurch 8023
        ph/fax (03) 332-7951
        mobile 021-123-2134
        Skype ptuffley