Re: Ever want to buy your own border inspection station?

  • Jesper
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 2, 2010
      I few years ago we were invited for coffee inside this former staion on the dedk:

      http://maps.google.dk/?ie=UTF8&ll=54.872261,9.07917&spn=0,0.20668&z=13&layer=c&cbll=54.872183,9.079156&panoid=qjjSdSbauK0rQybl-E8gZA&cbp=12,269.03,,0,8.29

      The new users are using as their summer residence.

      They were joking it was in nomansland, as its inbetween the real border and the DK sign.

      Jesper

      --- In borderpoint@yahoogroups.com, "bb22" <bill@...> wrote:

      > Now's your chance! This is the old Meridian Road border station in Champlain, NY. It closed around 1950 and has been used as a Dept. of Agriculture office ever since.
      >
      > http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/16323817/193-Meridian-Road-Champlain-NY/
      >
      > - Bill

    • Goyta' F. Villela Jr.
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 2, 2010
        > I few years ago we were invited for coffee inside this former staion
        > on the dedk:
        >
        > The new users are using as their summer residence.
        >
        > They were joking it was in nomansland, as its inbetween the real
        > border and the DK sign.

        I suppose the real border is the little creek (and, on that road, the bridge over it), Jesper?

        I noticed there is still a "customs" sign, but you already told us that occasionally they do enforce it (as in the fireworks case).

        Regards,

        Goytá
      • Jesper
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 2, 2010
          Yes, the border is the small creek.
          Here is the DK indirect marker
          http://maps.google.dk/?ie=UTF8&layer=c&cbll=54.871673,9.078904&panoid=jCWwAR0LdWgAXkI89ubEEA&cbp=12,99.51,,1,17.17&ll=54.871767,9.078999&spn=0,0.20668&z=13, the top of the DE indirect marker can just be seen.

          The custom sign refers to the letterbox

          http://maps.google.dk/?ie=UTF8&layer=c&cbll=54.872282,9.079231&panoid=D41AWvRBQXLLmyjpyphh3A&cbp=12,111.33,,2,15.37&ll=54.872162,9.07917&spn=0,0.20668&z=13

          where you should inform the customs if you importing dutiable goods.

          Jesper

          --- In borderpoint@yahoogroups.com, "Goyta' F. Villela Jr." <goytabr@...> wrote:

          > > I few years ago we were invited for coffee inside this former staion
          > > on the dedk:
          > >
          > > The new users are using as their summer residence.
          > >
          > > They were joking it was in nomansland, as its inbetween the real
          > > border and the DK sign.
          >

          > I suppose the real border is the little creek (and, on that road, the bridge over it), Jesper?
          >
          > I noticed there is still a "customs" sign, but you already told us that occasionally they do enforce it (as in the fireworks case).
          >
          > Regards,
          >
          > Goytá

        • Goyta' F. Villela Jr.
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 2, 2010
            > Yes, the border is the small creek.
            > Here is the DK indirect marker (...)
            > the top of the DE indirect marker can just be seen.

            I noticed that the riverside plants are different on either side of the creek... Interesting...

            > The custom sign refers to the letterbox where you should inform the
            > customs if you importing dutiable goods.

            Oh, I'm going to suggest that system for the Paraguay-Brazil border. I can already see the long lines of fiscally conscious day shoppers returning from the shopping malls of Ciudad del Este, eager to tell Brazilian Internal Revenue authorities (in charge of customs here) of all the electronics, perfume and booze they are bringing into the country... LOL! :-)

            Regards,

            Goytá
          • Jesper
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 2, 2010
              I cannot see the vegetation differs, perhaps it's just perspective or coinsidence.

              I once asked customs details of how many serious declarations end up in the numerous letterboxes, and they did give me a surprising answer. I will find it one day.

              I have explored DEDK many times during the last 10 years, and must admit the letterboxes show little sign of maintenance, and the refill of customs forms dosn't seem to happen often.

              But we did once test the letterbox system at a very remote dirt road crossing, which was a closed road before Schengen. And we did actually get a custom bill.