Maintenance of Territorial Claims

  • geoh88
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 2, 2010

      Below is a recent posting to Int-Boundaries by Kate Edwards (formerly Tom Edwards) of Englobe (formerly of Microsoft).

      My question is whether this issue has been discussed before: in the second decade of the third millenium, what sort of formalized actions may be expected to keep a territorial claim alive?

      I am hoping that this group may be a good venue for this topic.

      I'm in the process of trying to verify the Moroccan claims on the Spanish plazas de soberanía in northern Morocco (Islas Chafarinas, Peñón de Alhucemas, and Peñón de Vélez de la Gomera), as well as the enclaves of Ceuta and Melilla. All I want to see is some for of documentation from the Moroccan government that indicates that their claim is active and persistent. I readily see all the anecdotal evidence in informal statements and ongoing actions, but attempts to find any documented claim have proven fruitless (including contacting the Moroccan embassy in DC). Even a Moroccan map showing the territories as Moroccan can potentially suffice.

      Any leads on this information would be much appreciated. Thanks,

      Kate

      Kate Edwards - Voice: 1.206.849.0103, Fax: 1.425.663.7986, Skype: englobe

      Principal Consultant & Founder, Englobe Inc.

      Chair & Founder, IGDA Localization SIG

      Senior Advisor, Business for Diplomatic Action

      Columnist, MultiLingual Computing

    • kszephyr
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 21, 2010
        The claim is regularly asserted in the Moroccan media and by government spokespersons (including the current king). It seems to be based at times on precedent and at times on analogy - the precedent being the cession of Ifni by Spain in 1969, and the analogy Spain's own claim on Gibraltar.

        To the best of my knowledge no argument has been made based on principles of international law, and the claim appears never to have been submitted to an outside arbitration body such as the International Court of Justice.