Borders in Google Earth/maps

  • Jesper Nielsen
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 1 3:08 PM
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 1 4:38 PM
        The accuracy of MXUS on Goggle Maps near my home is greatly improved.  The boundary is now shown in the river instead of zig-zagging near it.

        Sent: Sunday, August 01, 2010 5:08 PM
        Subject: [borderpoint] Borders in Google Earth/maps

      • Diego González
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 1 5:43 PM
          The Llivia borders continue disappeared...

          Sent: Sunday, August 01, 2010 5:08 PM

          --
          http://fronterasblog.wordpress.com
        • Leonard
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 1 8:55 PM
            I sent a message to the person who signed the improvement memo from Google, asking why, if improving was the direction they were heading, why the enclaves disappeared, why Bangladesh exclaves have never shown up that Google couldn't have missed, given the new articles that it circulates about gunfire there, fence problems, etc.

            We all ought to hit that maps blog with question like this.

            Len

            --- In borderpoint@yahoogroups.com, Diego González <fronterasblog@...> wrote:

            > The Llivia borders continue disappeared...
            >
            > 2010/8/2 Lowell G. McManus <lgm@...>
            >

            > > The accuracy of MXUS on Goggle Maps near my home is greatly improved. The
            > > boundary is now shown in the river instead of zig-zagging near it.
            > >
            > > Lowell G. McManus
            > > Eagle Pass, Texas, USA

          • anton_zeilinger
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 2 2:13 AM
              Incidentally,

              while following this up on some borders that I am familiar with, e.g. the Vennbahn complex, I discovered the following:

              Not surprisingly, the Vennbahn boundaries are still not avalable on google earth. However, I discovered that somebody (a certain "walterskruter", a name I am not familiar with) has posted pictures of a lot of Belgian/German boundary markers and linked them to the correct spot on google earth. Including the Vennbahn markers!

              see, e.g.:

              http://www.panoramio.com/photo/34823516

              Kind regards,

              Anton

              --- In borderpoint@yahoogroups.com, "Jesper Nielsen" <jesper@...> wrote:

              > Is this the news we have been waiting for?
              >

              > http://google-latlong.blogspot.com/2010/07/improving-quality-of-borders-in-g
              > oogle.html
              >

              > Jesper

            • anton_zeilinger
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 2 2:15 AM
                Dear Len,

                could you please give me this guy's mail address? I did not find it anywhere on that blog!

                I did see, howeverm, that both Busingen and Campione have reemerged as enclaves on Google Earth - they had been "lost" for a while. Llivia is still missing, though.

                Thanks,
                Anton

                --- In borderpoint@yahoogroups.com, "Leonard" <lnadybal@...> wrote:

                > I sent a message to the person who signed the improvement memo from Google, asking why, if improving was the direction they were heading, why the enclaves disappeared, why Bangladesh exclaves have never shown up that Google couldn't have missed, given the new articles that it circulates about gunfire there, fence problems, etc.
                >
                > We all ought to hit that maps blog with question like this.
                >
                > Len
                >

                > --- In borderpoint@yahoogroups.com, Diego González <fronterasblog@> wrote:
                > >
                > > The Llivia borders continue disappeared...
                > >
                > > 2010/8/2 Lowell G. McManus <lgm@>
                > >

                > > > The accuracy of MXUS on Goggle Maps near my home is greatly improved. The
                > > > boundary is now shown in the river instead of zig-zagging near it.
                > > >
                > > > Lowell G. McManus
                > > > Eagle Pass, Texas, USA

              • Roger McCutcheon
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 2 2:49 AM
                  Llivia is not missing, but its boundary is: it is labelled as being in Spain.   Roger & out.
                • Len Nadybal
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 2 4:09 AM
                    He didn't give one - I followed the links in the bottom of his text
                    message to the Google map blog, and left messages there.

                    anton_zeilinger wrote:
                    > Dear Len,
                    >
                    > could you please give me this guy's mail address? I did not find it anywhere on that blog!
                    >
                    > I did see, howeverm, that both Busingen and Campione have reemerged as enclaves on Google Earth - they had been "lost" for a while. Llivia is still missing, though.
                    >
                    > Thanks,
                    > Anton
                    >
                    > --- In borderpoint@yahoogroups.com, "Leonard" <lnadybal@...> wrote:
                    >
                    >> I sent a message to the person who signed the improvement memo from Google, asking why, if improving was the direction they were heading, why the enclaves disappeared, why Bangladesh exclaves have never shown up that Google couldn't have missed, given the new articles that it circulates about gunfire there, fence problems, etc.
                    >>
                    >> We all ought to hit that maps blog with question like this.
                    >>
                    >> Len
                    >>

                    >> --- In borderpoint@yahoogroups.com, Diego González <fronterasblog@> wrote:
                    >>
                    >>> The Llivia borders continue disappeared...

                  • Len Nadybal
                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 2 4:12 AM
                      C'mon, you know what we mean -
                      The territory that is Llivia is missing... what good does the name alone
                      do for people like us (or travellers on the road)?
                      LN

                      Roger McCutcheon wrote:

                      > Llivia is not missing, but its boundary is: it is labelled as being in
                      > Spain. Roger & out.

                      > Unlimited Disk, Data Transfer, PHP/MySQL Domain Hosting
                      > http://www.doteasy.com
                    • Roger McCutcheon
                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 2 9:51 AM
                        Well if you look it up on the net you will find its post-code, 17527, which
                        makes it a sub-division of Puigcerdà. Roger & out.
                      • lnadybal@philatelic.info
                        Message 11 of 11 , Aug 2 11:20 AM
                          It's admnistratively part of Gerona, and Llivia also has a French post
                          code, just as the Kleinwalsertal, Jungholz, Campione and Büsingen do.
                          Len