Re: Ferghana enclaves

  • geoh88
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 18 3:29 PM

      Here is the link to the transcript of the public radio story which Leonard mentioned

      http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=127839856

      Upon reflection, it would appear that the interviewee (Michael Schwirtz of the New York Times) was not referring to the formal "enclaves" which we often discuss here at Borderpoint, but rather the more usual metaphorical usage as in "Little Italy" or "Chinatown".

      In fact the reporter gives specifics where individual houses are destroyed in mixed neighborhoods (sounds to me rather similar to Yugoslavia in the 1990's).

      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 18 3:30 PM
        Yes, these are often referred to as 'ethnic enclaves' or 'ethnic islands', so there might be some confusion.
        Dallen