RE: SV: [borderpoint] Re: African tripoints

  • Barry Arnold
    Message 1 of 35 , Mar 31, 2010
      I am sorry but I cannot agree with you that members of this group are not interested in tripoints that simply is not true, as a simple search would indicate. On my recent border trip I visited borders and tripoints and was equally interested in both.

      To: borderpoint@yahoogroups.com
      From: jesper@...
      Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2010 22:48:24 +0200
      Subject: SV: [borderpoint] Re: African tripoints

      There really isn't any division. Boundarypointpoint (perhaps I shouldn't have called it a sister group) was set up by a former member who wants to focus entirely on tripoints.

      I participate in the other group as I also have interest in tripoints and in this group I normally get well researched responses to my posts. I admit they can often be hard to understand and deciffer. I did not ask anybody to sign up, just browse my maps if interested etc.

      Generally, I have the feeling that members of Borderpoint aren't that interested in tripoints (the responses to my original post was also focusing on the "division" instead of the maps), and as I don't want to flood Borderpoint unnecessary and decided to rather refer to them.

      Message 35 of 35 , Apr 24, 2010
        This message troubled me for some time, because it seemed to be incorrect. Now I know it is, and in one aspect I can say why:

        That the eastern border wasn't marked isn't true. The SE marker, on south side of the road to Aachen, directly south of where the vierlaenderpunkt was (now tripoint) is still in place.

        The border treaty of 26 June 1918 said the neutral area was to be clearly marked. Poles were used. Pole 193 was at the top of the triangle. In 1869 they were replaced with stones. I - XXX marked the Belgian (west) border, and XXXI - LX marked the side facing Prussia. A straight path was laid along that border that border officials patrolled.

        The lines in the paved area at the Dreilaenderpunkt are enhanced by inlaid brick showing former Moresnet boundaries, and are enhanced by a tall sign about 4-5 meters south from the actual stone that stands where the remaining three borders merge, and it marks the direct north-south line from the tripoint stone that was the eastern border of Neutral Moresnet. There's a big inscription on this sign saying "former border of Neutral Morsenet".