Re: Ancient limit

  • Leonard
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 7, 2010
      If you think that's impressive, you might also like to watch a German TV program about the Limes (Lee-mes) - the hundreds of KM long Hadrian's wall of continental Europe. If so, let me know and I'll send you a DvD.

      North of Frankfurt, Germany, in the Taunus Mountains near the town of Freidrichsdorf, the government rebuilt the fortress called the Saalburg and some of the watch towers that were within signaling distance of each other - the Romans could send signals from Bavaria to Holland in a couple of hours through this chain of towers, to summon help whenever the border was breached.

      It's now a UNESCO world heritage site.

      http://www.saalburgmuseum.de/english/home_engl.htm

      LN

      --- In borderpoint@yahoogroups.com, Roger McCutcheon <rogerdwmac@...> wrote:

      > I have been watching a programme on BBC television about Hadrian's Wall
      > which was built by the Romans from the Solway Firth in Cumbria to Wallsend
      > in Northumbria (73 miles),to guard the frontier of their Empire in England
      > which was not far south of Scotland: the Romans finally abandoned England
      > sixteen centuries ago this year, and to mark this it is intended to
      > illuminate the wall!. Originally it was about 15 feet high and had a
      > milecastle housing troops every Roman mile. Roger & out.

    • Roger McCutcheon
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 8, 2010
        Thank's Leonard, I would appreciate that. In the meantime I have found that if "Illuminating Hadrian's Wall" is entered in the search engine it provides the programme I mentioned.   Roger & out.
      • Leonard
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 8, 2010
          Email me your address and I'll send the CD - lnadybal-at-exclave.info
          Len

          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 22, 2010
            Your floppy disc has just arrived: many thanks Len!   Roger & out.
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 22, 2010
              Came across the following on another board that I frequent, I knew right away who would appreciate it most. ;)

              ---

              International border at Point Roberts, WA/Delta BC

              Just wanted to share a fun view, courtesy of Google Maps. This (http://s494.photobucket.com/albums/rr308/DeathB4D_Calf/Traveling%20the%20globe%20with%20Google/?action=view¤t=NorthintoBC.jpg) is looking north into Delta, BC. We're also standing inside Canada since Point Roberts doesn't have Street View.

              Now if we all turn around, we'll see a small house (http://s494.photobucket.com/albums/rr308/DeathB4D_Calf/?action=view¤t=LookingintoPointRobertsWAfromDeltaB.jpg) south of the border, which evidently is delimited by the same split rail fence that marks the property boundary. As I said, there's no Street View south of the border yet, so we're still standing in Canada. But judging from the attractive and rustic fence, including a little wicket gate that seems to be the portal between two great nations, I suppose we must concede that good fences make good neighbors!

              ---
            • Hugh Wallis
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 22, 2010
                I like the little, well worn path at the left hand end of the fence, between it and the hedge

                2010/3/22 David Kendall <dhkendall@...>
                Came across the following on another board that I frequent, I knew right away who would appreciate it most.  ;)

                ---

                International border at Point Roberts, WA/Delta BC

                Just wanted to share a fun view, courtesy of Google Maps. This (http://s494.photobucket.com/albums/rr308/DeathB4D_Calf/Traveling%20the%20globe%20with%20Google/?action=view&current=NorthintoBC.jpg) is looking north into Delta, BC. We're also standing inside Canada since Point Roberts doesn't have Street View.

                Now if we all turn around, we'll see a small house (http://s494.photobucket.com/albums/rr308/DeathB4D_Calf/?action=view&current=LookingintoPointRobertsWAfromDeltaB.jpg) south of the border, which evidently is delimited by the same split rail fence that marks the property boundary. As I said, there's no Street View south of the border yet, so we're still standing in Canada. But judging from the attractive and rustic fence, including a little wicket gate that seems to be the portal between two great nations, I suppose we must concede that good fences make good neighbors!

                ---

                <*> Your email settings:
                   Individual Email | Traditional

                <*> To change settings online go to: