USSR border / Iron Curtain

  • Doug Murray
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 2, 2010
      Hello all:

      I found some interesting reading about the former-Soviet Union's border system.  It's all in Russian, but thanks to Google Translate, you can read the Russian Wikipedia entries.

      The first system: C/P-100:

      http://tinyurl.com/ykb392c

      The second system: P-175 "Curtain":

      http://tinyurl.com/y94z5g5

      And the third and final system: KC/CS-185 "Gobi":

      http://tinyurl.com/yegx4up

      My own picture from near the Near Ukraine - Moldova - Romania tripoint (south) near Reni, Ukraine   This appears to be remnants of the CS-185 curtain.

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/borderfilms/3721882924/

      Other photos:

      http://st.ess.ru/publications/2_2007/sizov/index.htm

      http://forum.pogranichnik.ru/index.php?autocom=gallery&req=si&img=29054

      And finally, some amazing and sobering pictures (and stories)  from along the old Czechoslovakia border.

      http://tinyurl.com/yahmm8a

      Happy New Year everyone!

      Doug

      D o u g  M u r r a y
      sounds+images+words
      www.borderfilms.com

      Edmonton, AB, Canada +1.780.655.5583 (NEW!)
      Vancouver, BC, Canada +1.604.728.1407
      Fax/USA 1.206.333.0220

      Contributor to: Toronto Star, South China Morning Post, Philadelphia Inquirer, Chicago Tribune, Baltic Times, Malaysia Star, Irish Examiner, (Vancouver) Georgia Straight, National Geographic, CBC Radio, San Jose Mercury News, CTV News, CBC News, Oakland Tribune, Contra Costa Times, Western Mail (Wales), NewsRadio Ireland, Word Magazine, National Post, Lonely Planet, Yukon News, Gibraltar Panorama, Helsinki Times, etc

      Books (photos): Weird Washington, Media Discourse and the Yugoslav Conflicts