Re: [borderpoint] One more Danish to English

  • M Aronsson
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 3, 2009
      Here are translations:

      Without bridges or dams     -   Uden broer eller daemning

      named islands     -    navngivne öer

      ebbevej    -   low tide way (the way the low tide goes)

      All the best!

      Malte Aronsson
      Sweden

      geoh88 skrev:

      ebbevej

    • Razvan Novacovschi
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 3, 2009
        The Moldova answer is also wrong - Moldova also borders Romania in the south, at least for the 400 metres where it reaches Danube, near the village Giurgiulesti.

        Razvan
        Sent: Thursday, September 03, 2009 3:19 PM
        Subject: RE: [borderpoint] Bordering countries

        Canada borders the US on both the north and the south - go directly north
        from Windsor, Ontario and you hit....Detroit, Michigan

        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 3, 2009
          Well, that's wrong as well - the huge majority of Moldova's southern border is with Ukraine, as almost all the southern part of Basarabia was given to Ukraine after the Soviet occupation of 1940. As said in my previous email, Moldova was left with only 400 metres of exit to the Danube, just east of the mouths of the river Prut.

          Of course, the 'going directly north' argument would put probably 99% of the Romanian-Moldavian border in this category, as the river Prut, which forms the vast majority of the border, flows in a SE and SSE direction, so almost any point in Romania close enough to the border would be south of some point close enough to the border on the Moldavian side.

          Razvan

          Sent: Thursday, September 03, 2009 1:34 PM

          > in the case of Moldova it was
          > argued that its southern border

          is entirely with Moldova.

          Ooops, of course I meant it was argued that Moldova's southern border is with Romania.

          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 3, 2009
            > Of course, the 'going directly north' argument would put
            > probably 99% of the Romanian-Moldavian border in this category,
            > as the river Prut, which forms the vast majority of the border,
            > flows in a SE and SSE direction, so almost any point in Romania
            > close enough to the border would be south of some point close
            > enough to the border on the Moldavian side.

            But that's my point, I said Ukraine, it was argued that Romania is correct (I didn't see if the arguer(s) answered Romania, but one of them said that "no country fits the answer" in the discussion) because of the "going directly north" arguement.

            Because of said arguement, does this rethink what we think about countries that border on which side? Could Portugal now be considered a southern neighbour of Spain? Colombia an eastern neighbour of Peru? Congo (either one) an eastern neighbour of the C. A. R? Oman a northern neighbour of the UAE? China a western neighbour of Laos? etc. etc. etc. etc. ...

            --
            David Kendall
            dhkendall@...
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 3, 2009
              I think such an approach would be a bit pedantic/over the top. Bordering some other country on just one cardinal direction would require a completely straight border with an azimuth of 0, 90, 180 or 270 - I don't think anything like this exists? Furthermore, a 271 degrees twist of direction anywhere on the border and those countries would be bordering each other on all 4 cardinal directions - I think it is impossible not to find that on most of the irregular-shape and river borders around the world. And you only need to start counting after you've ticked off your list (almost) all countries with enclaves and exclaves.

              This does however show things are or can be made to be very relative. When is a border going mainly NE a Northern or a Eastern border? At 45.01 or 44.59 degrees of general inclination?

              Then if one wants to calculate 'general directions', you're straight into advanced mathematics...

              Razvan

              Sent: Thursday, September 03, 2009 6:22 PM

              > Of course, the 'going directly north' argument would put

              probably 99% of the Romanian-Moldavian border in this category,
              > as the
              river Prut, which forms the vast majority of the border,
              > flows in a SE
              and SSE direction, so almost any point in Romania
              > close enough to the
              border would be south of some point close
              > enough to the border on the
              Moldavian side.

              But that's my point, I said Ukraine, it was argued that Romania is correct (I didn't see if the arguer(s) answered Romania, but one of them said that "no country fits the answer" in the discussion) because of the "going directly north" arguement.

              Because of said arguement, does this rethink what we think about countries that border on which side? Could Portugal now be considered a southern neighbour of Spain? Colombia an eastern neighbour of Peru? Congo (either one) an eastern neighbour of the C. A. R? Oman a northern neighbour of the UAE? China a western neighbour of Laos? etc. etc. etc. etc. ...

              --
              David Kendall
              dhkendall@shaw. ca
              blog: http://thecanuckguy .livejournal. com/
            • geoh88
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 3, 2009

                Mange tak to Malte and muchas gracias to Lowell for the translations.

                George