Re: List of 13 Countries which each have exactly one Fragment

  • George H
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1, 2009

      --- In borderpoint@yahoogroups.com, "kubana2005" <kubana2005@...> wrote:

      > If you include Eastern Malaysia, then you could also include Northern Ireland.
      > Alex

      Hello Alex,

      Of course, if you are making your own rules, you can include anything you want.

      But by my definition of a Fragment (in a message yesterday)

      Northern Ireland is contiguous within the same EEZ as all of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. See this link

      http://w2.vliz.be/vmdcdata/marbound/geointerface.php?Pol_ID=180

      Eastern Malaysia, on the other hand, is separated by hundreds of kilometers from Peninsular Malaysia by the islands and EEZ of Indonesia. See this link

      http://w2.vliz.be/vmdcdata/marbound/geointerface.php?Pol_ID=206

      Note the two separate dark blue areas, separated by the EEZ of Indonesia.

      Alex, I would be interested in any comments you may have regarding my definition of a Fragment.

      Similarly, if you are proposing another concept of  "islands" or "part islands" or something else entirely, please let me know what your definition is.

      George

    • kubana2005
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 1, 2009
        In the excel file that I´ve sent you earlier there is a list of: fragments, exclaves and islands. By islands I mean only the islands which are part of the mainland but have some geographical and other differences, but I still count them as part of mainland.

        And I also make a high difference between ´´part of´´ and ´´belong to´´. E.g. I count Jan Mayen as truly part of Norway while Bouvet Island not fully part of Norway but only under Norwegian control. Which means that if I had visited Bouvet I would not say that I have been in Norway unlike the Jan Mayen.
        Same applies for the difference between the status of Palmyra and Baker Atoll or Midway, which I know that Lowell disagrees about.
        But we are here to discuss it and we all love discussing these kinds of things!

        Regards, Alex