Re: [borderpoint] Re: SMOM etc - postal treaty countries

    Message 1 of 31 , May 8, 2009
      Len wrote:

      > BTW - the entire building housing the SMOM HQ is not extraterritorial.
      > Immediately to the right of the main entrance to the HQ on the street
      > level, there's a Gucci store. There are many others in the building. The
      > upper floors overhang the areas occupied by the private shops on the
      > ground floor, which means there a vertical differential between the
      > borders of Italy and the SMOM's extraterritorial area.

      Consular offices are sometimes located on upper floors in high-rise office
      buildings, so vertical differentiation of extraterritoriality is nothing new
      or unique. I wouldn't be surprised if there were a few embassies so
      located.

      Thanks for the photo and postal list.

    • kubana2005
      Message 31 of 31 , May 15, 2009
        Very interesting. What was the status of the fort from 1961 till 1985? Is there any source that says whether the Portugal was the only country not to recognizes Dahomey's overtake?

        Btw, what was the status of Cabinda? Could we say that before Angola gained independence, Cabinda and Angola were 2 different territories?

        If my accounts are correct, prior to 70's Portugal bordered 17 countries. Spain, Senegal, Guinea, Dahomey (Benin), Congo, Zaire, Zambia, South-West Africa, South Africa, Swaziland, Southern Rhodesia, Malawi, Tanzania, Indonesia, India and PR China. Perhaps the names of the countries are not correct for the time, but you get the point about territories that Portugal bordered.

        Goyta, the Swedish/Finnish island you have mentioned is Market. Another interesting example of very short border is Penon de Velez de la Gomera.

        Regards, Alex