Re: Status of Jersey and Guernsey

  • campbellsayers
    Message 1 of 42 , May 1 3:19 AM
      Kevin

      Very many thanks for your comprehensive analysis and explanation of the mysteries of the Channel Islands' status and relationship to the UK - exemplary clarity, much needed in this case, where discussions with CI residents tend to run into the sand - too difficult to understand, never mind explain or justify!

      An additional feature is that (as I understand it) neither Jersey, Guernsey or the other CIs are members of the European Community, and have chosen not to introduce VAT - a bone of contention, as they are used as an operating base by companies which can distribute goods through the postal system to UK residents at advantageous prices.

      I think the same applies to the Isle of Man and Gibraltar.

      Thanks,
      Campbell Sayers

      --- In borderpoint@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Meynell <knm@...> wrote:

      > >How can they be dominions in all but name, has the status of
      > >dominion been officially abandoned since the last one
      > >(Newfoundland?) was no longer a dominion?
      >
      > Dominion status traditionally implied responsible self-government,
      > with very limited powers reserved to the British government. By
      > contrast, colonial government was typically through advisory councils
      > (known as Legislative Councils) whose members were hand-picked by the Governor.
      >
      > >And is there popular support on Bermuda, Guernsey and Jersey for
      > >independence, or for status quo?
      >
      > There appears to be reasonable support for independence in Bermuda,
      > although the cost of implementing this is a sticking point
      > (membership of international organisations, maintaining embassies,
      > and provision of defence is a substantial cost for a small
      > population). In addition, as Bermuda is a prime offshoring location,
      > loss of business confidence is a concern.
      >
      > I do not believe there's any substantial support for the independence
      > of Guernsey or Jersey, although their governments have increasingly
      > pressured for further autonomy (particularly with respect to external affairs).
      >
      > Regards,
      >
      > Kevin Meynell

    • kubana2005
      Message 42 of 42 , May 6 3:23 AM
        Hi Jesper,

        Congrats to want you have done! I've been on ZAMZ border and it looks like a difficult border to visit. After all, that is Africa not Europe. How did you find maps and the exact tripoint? African boundaries are not safe, there are gangs, mines and officers that can't understand our hobby.

        Regards, Alex