Vatican City trip

    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 30, 2009

      I mentioned in an earlier communication that I’ll be going to Rome this weekend on my way to Oman and UAE. I’ve been graciously granted three hours to explore the interior of the Vatican City state by the President of the Governatorato of the State (Cardinal Giovanni Lajolo) away from the normal tourist zones. I’m not really at liberty to say much more about this privilege, but I am very happy about this rare opportunity, as I’ve only ever been in St Peter’s, the Museums, and a guided minivan tour of the Gardens before now.

      So now the purpose of my email…I’d like to ask anyone on borderpoint if there are any particular border-related pictures you really would like to see. Although I’ve been granted three hours inside the Vatican , I’m planning to spend several more hours outside the walls examining the border, particularly in the area of Ricciolo d’Italia and the Santo Uffizo extraterritorial zone.

      I’m also going to try to find the San Marino embassy to Italy ; the Italian embassy to the Holy See; and the Holy See embassy to Italy . I’m only in Rome for two days, so I can’t make any promises, but I’m going to try.

      I’m leaving Sunday morning, so please let me know soon if you have any special requests.

      Message 2 of 8 , May 1, 2009
        > So now the purpose of my email...I'd like to ask anyone on borderpoint
        > if there are any particular border-related pictures you really would
        > like to see.

        One thing I'd like to see, although it doesn't have to be completely on Tim's shoulders for his trip, is a website putting up pictures of the ENTIRE ITVA border, being one of the smallest in the world (3.2km, I believe, larger than ESGI at 1.2km, but I can't think of any other smaller ones) it would make an interesting photo study. (Of course, since ESGI is shorter, it would also be easily represented photographically, but since it isn't all urban, but rather more similar to other international borders, might not be as interesting a subject photographically ... )

        --
        David Kendall
        dhkendall@...
        Message 3 of 8 , May 1, 2009

          David, I wish I had time to document the entire boundary in pictures, but unfortunately I don’t. I’ll see how much I can do, though.

          Dallen (Timothy is my last name—common mistake).

          dhkendall@shaw. ca
          blog: http://thecanuckguy .livejournal. com/

          Message 4 of 8 , May 1, 2009
            > Dallen (Timothy is my last name-common mistake).

            Thanks, I originally thought Dallen, but saw the Timothy part, and, like most, assumed since it "looked" more like a first name ...

            Anyways, I've seen several pictures of the ITVA border on various websites, can't remember where (but I'm sure if I searched the group archives I'd find them fast enough), so probably a good chunk is already there. I don't know if there's any parts that people normally can't get to that you'll be able to to "complete" it, though. Leave the common, easily accesible parts for us "mortals" and the pictures that are already up. :)

            --
            David Kendall
            dhkendall@...
            blog:  http://thecanuckguy.livejournal.com/
          • L. A. Nadybal
            Message 5 of 8 , May 1, 2009
              Dallen -

              If you could photograph any "overhangs" where objects affixed to the walls jut out into Italian airspace, I'd like to see them. Also, photos of the area where the railroad becomes Vatican and the gates over the tracks (to determine if there are any differentiations between the track bed, the rails, etc., that show maintenance occurs from two different states). If you could find out how long the Vatican railway is, there as well as under Castelgandolfo, I'd appreciate that, too.

              If you could also photograph the borders of the German cemetary and the Vatican property (are the walls and the building around the cemetary part of it or part of the Vatican proper?), that might be interesting. I'm curious to know if the the border is on the outside of the walls around the cemetary, in the middle (walls ON the border) or only ground inside the walls.

              There has to be a Vatican architect or similar who can tell you who manages what appurtenances, who cares for what parts, etc. Without that, I think the photos themselves will only be part of the full authoritative story about the Vatican's borders.

              Lastly, if you could visit the Residencia Paolo VI (the only hotel inside the Vatican) and get me a hotel brochure and room price list (plus whatever other postcards, publicity materials, historical sheets etc. that they have), I'd be more than happy to reimburse the costs involved in sending them to me.

              Thanks

              Good luck on your visit.

              Len Nadybal

              Message 6 of 8 , May 1, 2009

                Len, I’ll do what I can as regards the border, overhangs, railway line, etc. The German cemetery area is definitely one I want to explore and inquire about. I’ll have a look at the hotel too.

                Dallen

                If you could photograph any "overhangs" where objects affixed to the walls jut out into Italian airspace, I'd like to see them. Also, photos of the area where the railroad becomes Vatican and the gates over the tracks (to determine if there are any differentiations between the track bed, the rails, etc., that show maintenance occurs from two different states). If you could find out how long the Vatican railway is, there as well as under Castelgandolfo, I'd appreciate that, too.

                If you could also photograph the borders of the German cemetary and the Vatican property (are the walls and the building around the cemetary part of it or part of the Vatican proper?), that might be interesting. I'm curious to know if the the border is on the outside of the walls around the cemetary, in the middle (walls ON the border) or only ground inside the walls.

                There has to be a Vatican architect or similar who can tell you who manages what appurtenances, who cares for what parts, etc. Without that, I think the photos themselves will only be part of the full authoritative story about the Vatican 's borders.

                Lastly, if you could visit the Residencia Paolo VI (the only hotel inside the Vatican ) and get me a hotel brochure and room price list (plus whatever other postcards, publicity materials, historical sheets etc. that they have), I'd be more than happy to reimburse the costs involved in sending them to me.

                Thanks

                Good luck on your visit.

                Len Nadybal

                --- In borderpoint@ yahoogroups. com, David Kendall <dhkendall@. ..> wrote:

                > > Dallen (Timothy is my last name-common mistake).
                >
                > Thanks, I originally thought Dallen, but saw the Timothy part, and, like
                most, assumed since it "looked" more like a first name ...

                > Anyways, I've seen several pictures of the ITVA border on various
                websites, can't remember where (but I'm sure if I searched the group archives I'd find them fast enough), so probably a good chunk is already there. I don't know if there's any parts that people normally can't get to that you'll be able to to "complete" it, though. Leave the common, easily accesible parts for us "mortals" and the pictures that are already up. :)

                > --
                > David Kendall
                > dhkendall@.. .
                > blog: http://thecanuckguy .livejournal. com/

              • kubana2005
                Message 7 of 8 , May 2, 2009
                  I tough that the whole Vatican is available for tourist to visit (apart from enclosed buildings). I was amazed to read that only some parts of Vatican city are open for tourist.

                  As for your pictures, I am interested in Vatican heliport and the boundaries behind?
                • L. A. Nadybal
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 2, 2009
                    Yep - the whole "back yard" in back of the "big house" is closed off to tourists without other connections except those paying to go on guided tours.
                    LN