Re: GNGWSN

  • jim van dura
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 1 4:29 AM
      Hi! They don't say because these coords are really
      just meant as neighborhood calls (most likely to the
      nearest half minute only, or roughly kilometric
      accuracy, because even rougher ones are often given by
      both Brownlie and the IBS in similar cases)...and thus
      they aren't meant to be taken as precision readings in
      any particular datum; so the question doesn't really
      track on that level. The full IBS statement is, in
      this case and typically: "Maps show [the tripoint] at
      approximately [x by y]." But I too am still wondering
      what Jesper is really wanting here because February
      has already arrived but I haven't yet received the
      email with the proposal attachment that will likely
      explain the question...unless these are two
      independent points of curiosity. Until then though, I
      think the answer must be: this is not only convertible
      to, but actually is, WGS84 -- or probably any other
      datum one may wish to use. For direct access to these
      references though, and almost all the IBS studies, in
      the meantime or anytime:
      http://www.law.fsu.edu/library/collection/LimitsinSeas/
      Cheers! --Jimi

      P.S. (or moral of story?): When sending attachments
      pertaining to tripointing tries, it really does pay to
      use BoundaryPoint, since, unlike here at BorderPoint,
      they usually become available at Gmane far sooner than
      the emails are delivered, and they are permanently
      stored there as well, unlike here. (Also, I have
      found, if the tries are in earnest, there is no
      silliness there but only light!)

      --- In borderpoint@yahoogroups.com, "Hugh Wallis"
      <hugh@o...> wrote:

      > >>How is this convertible to WGS84?<<
      >
      > Do they state what datum they are using? If so then
      there are numerous datum
      > conversion tools available - google - "datum
      conversion tools"

      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 1 5:29 AM
        >>it really does pay to use BoundaryPoint<<

        Not really because you usually get verbally abused because it doesn't fall into one particular person's (who is not even a moderator of the list) idea of what should have been said on that list. Like Jesper, I have decided not to post there any more.

        <hugh@o...> wrote:

        > >>How is this convertible to WGS84?<<

        > Do they state what datum they are using? If so then
        there are numerous datum
        > conversion tools available - google -  "datum
        conversion tools"

        >   _____

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • jimvandura
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 1 5:47 AM
          Aha! Well, that's ok too, I guess, but what do you mean by "you," Hugh? (I for one never
          get abused...as I don't abuse myself.) Cheers! --Jimi

          --- In borderpoint@yahoogroups.com, "Hugh Wallis" <hugh@o...> wrote:

          > >>it really does pay to use BoundaryPoint<<
          >
          > Not really because you usually get verbally abused because it doesn't fall
          > into one particular person's (who is not even a moderator of the list) idea
          > of what should have been said on that list. Like Jesper, I have decided not
          > to post there any more.
          >

          > _____

          t=ms&k=Government&w1=Politics&w2=Government&c=
          > > &k=Government&w1=Politics&w2=Government&c=
          > > 2&s=30&.sig=4AXPayeGvJzzIl1ivQ98IA>
          > >
          > > _____
          > >
          > > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
          > >

          > > * Visit your group "borderpoint
          > > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/borderpoint> " on the
          > web.

          > Yahoo! Terms of Service
          > > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
          > >

          > > _____

          > http://mail.yahoo.com

          > Politics
          > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Politics&w1=Politics&w2=Government&c=2&
          > s=30&.sig=eyLi-tNN5P27l4G_zKXuxw> Government
          > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
          t=ms&k=Government&w1=Politics&w2=Government&c=
          > 2&s=30&.sig=4AXPayeGvJzzIl1ivQ98IA>
          >
          > _____
          >
          > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
          >

          > * Visit your group "borderpoint
          > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/borderpoint> " on the web.

          > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
          >

          > _____

        • Hugh Wallis
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 1 6:07 AM
            3rd person singular indefinite - also expressed as "one"

            :)

            Aha! Well, that's ok too, I guess, but what do you mean by "you," Hugh? (I for one never
            get abused...as I don't abuse myself.) Cheers! --Jimi

            --- In borderpoint@yahoogroups.com, "Hugh Wallis" <hugh@o...> wrote:

            > >>it really does pay to use BoundaryPoint<<

            > Not really because you usually get verbally abused because it doesn't fall
            > into one particular person's (who is not even a moderator of the list) idea
            > of what should have been said on that list. Like Jesper, I have decided not
            > to post there any more.
            >

            >   _____

          • jimvandura
            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 1 7:04 AM
              Yes, I would agree then, as one attracts one's life! Whatever one faces is one's doing!

            • Jesper Nielsen/Borderbase
              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 1 10:17 AM
                Here are my proposed border lines and tripoint positions

                http://www.nicolette.dk/diverse/gngwsn2.JPG

                The Encarta map does show physical features visible on the Google Map, but
                still hard to fit it all in. Especially trying not to divide villages.

                This is a place I would love to see a topomap of and particularly visit.
                Also I wonder how do the transit road and the Niji village function.

                Jesper

                <hugh@o...> wrote:

                > >>How is this convertible to WGS84?<<
                >
                > Do they state what datum they are using? If so then
                there are numerous datum
                > conversion tools available - google - "datum
                conversion tools"

                > _____

              • Doug Murray
                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 1 11:06 AM

                  <hugh@o...> wrote:

                  > >>How is this convertible to WGS84?<<

                  > Do they state what datum they are using? If so then
                  there are numerous datum
                  > conversion tools available - google -  "datum
                  conversion tools"

                  >   _____

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • Hugh Wallis
                  Message 8 of 17 , Feb 1 11:18 AM
                    Not sure why we would want to - I can't see the benefit over the Yahoogroups interface myself - but the page is here - http://www.gmane.com/subscribe.php - I suspect that it would need approval by an owner or moderator of this list.

                    Message 9 of 17 , Feb 1 11:42 AM
                      The pilot charts are available here:

                      http://66.77.122.13/International/Country.aspx?Country=Guinea

                      Jesper

                      Message 10 of 17 , Feb 1 11:43 AM

                        Message 11 of 17 , Feb 1 11:56 AM
                          Getting the attachments backed up is a good thing since Yahoo doesn't do that any more. OK - now I buy it!!

                          Message 12 of 17 , Feb 1 12:35 PM
                            Good work, men! That should take care of everything.
                            Now let me just try this lost attachment again. What
                            is our Gmane access address, I mean like this one
                            (where we can then look for it):
                            http://news.gmane.org/group/gmane.culture.discuss.boundary-point/last=0/force_load=very/?page=0&action=--Action--
                            (Do we just change "boundary-point" to "border-point"
                            in the URL?) Well, here's for it! --Jimi

                            http://mail.yahoo.com